Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best anchors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Any suggestions on anchoring a TI. I am planning to use 1/4 inch line with about 3 feet of the smallest stainless chain I can find on a folding 4 pronge anchor that folks seem to use. I was planning an anchor trolley on port side from rear cockpit to bow. I plan to use a stuff bag for the unused rode and when the anchor is stowed. Is there a better anchor? I have seen small bruce type anchors at West Marine and the small fortress aluminum fluke type. Maybe someone from down under would be willing to get me one of the plastic ones up here some way?

Post subject: Re: best anchors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For our TI, we use a folding grapnel anchor and some 1/4 inch line. The line we use is the same that we have attached to the front of the bow at all times, and we have an equal length stored down below with the anchor when we're under way. We haven't needed any chain yet, so we don't keep any of that on the boat.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have one of the plastic Cooper Anchors. Also checked on their international site (Cooper Anchors International), they don't retail them o/s, but so far they have distributors in Canada, NZ and Thailand. Where are you located?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Captain Max, I have been interested in the Cooper anchors for a while now, especially the plastic ones. I have a few questions if you dont mind :)

Is yours the plastic one?
does it hold the TI in a decent wave?
Have you attached a length of chain?
any issues with different types of bottom terrain?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Capt Max,
We are in Florida. I might be able to order from Canada so I will check to see who the distributor is . Do you use a chain?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really good fluke anchors are very expensive and almost all are overkill for the AI/TI.

So I agree with Mitch. If you have sand and coral bottoms then the inexpensive grapnel models will work. Get at LEAST the 6 lb version with 4 feet of chain (coated or galvanized). Add stainless shackels to the anchor, the chain and your bow padeye (even if you go with a trolley)

I carry my large folding grapnel anchor/chain to and from the boat in the small hobie dry bag (for cushioning and corrosion protection) but keep 100' of poly line in the front hatch at all times. (This is 2x50' floating lines linked together with stainless clips plus a float). The line stays wrapped neatly on a sturdy plastic electical chord caddy.

I did not add the trolley, cuz with all the fishing lines, sailing lines and tramps, I though it might get in the way. I can snag my lures on enough things as is :roll: If you are fishing structure in sheltered water, the trolley would be handy though.

For temporary anchoring, some folks here use a coated 8-10 dumbbell or hand weight tied to a cheap line. Works great for them and is very fast to deploy and raise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's my setup for the Cooper anchor. Didn't really hold well in soft mud but gripped like anything on the sand. I had issues with one of the small foldup jobbies in sand so I'm pretty happy with the plastic one so far.

I made the wooden rope holder recently to try to reduce the tangles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here in South Florida, we use the Fortress Commando anchor. The anchor weighs only 2.5 lbs. And comes with 6' of chain. Their thick white anchor rode rope is overkill (150'!). I use a much lighter and shorter line that doubles as our bowline.

It costs a fortune ($115). But it provides us the necessary assurance that our $5k+ boat will still be waiting for us exactly where we left it when we return.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/commando.html

We tried the much more convenient folding grapnel anchors. They fold up so nice and small. They are so much more easier to store and deploy. But our experience showed us that they didn't hold in soft sand and where there are any waves or currents.

Those Cooper anchors look very cool. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought a Coopers anchor (blue) the other day. Haven't used it yet but fascinated by the design and idea. The clip on the Coopers website (an extract from Australian Inventors) is worth a look. I was also stunned by how quickly my anchor was delivered. Ordered it online on a Friday night and received it on the following Monday morning!!
I plan to put about two metres of galvanised chain on it and 1/4 inch line.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If any of the down under folks want to get into the anchor export business let me know. How much do the pink or blue anchors cost? Shipping to the US? Maybe Hobie would want to become a dealer?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Coopers publish this guide to anchoring which applies to all anchors not just theirs. Probably explains why some people complain their anchor isnt any good and doesnt hold, they simply dont have enough rope/line out!