Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,
Has anybody installed the new steering system in their 2010 Pro Angler.
If so could you post some pictures and give me your opinion of how it went.
Thanks.
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

No parts have yet been shipped, so no one will have done this yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thankyou Matt, any chance you know when they will be starting to show up in the shops for us to buy.
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fishnuts...

To my understanding and from what I read so far...you will have to give up some rod storage on one side of your PA due to the way it is mounted....just a FYI for ya.

Fish Hard my friends....!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My local Hobie dealer just emailed me yesterday that he can now order one for me. Hobie told him they have plenty available.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Make that... "will" have plenty available. We have not yet shipped a kit. There are a few hiccups in part supply.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone heard of what the total price might be for the steering upgrade? I have a new 2010 that I'd like to upgrade. Should I plan on selling a kidney or is it something I can afford on regular wages? Also is there a line to get in to purchase one or will they be available pretty easily once they start shipping?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks fellas,
I realise I will lose a rod holder space but I think that will be a small price to pay.
I only run my flyrods down that side anyway :wink: .
Matt hopefully they will sort out the supply soon, looking forward to installing this one as I've never been real happy with the old steering and this can only be an improvement. Thanks again.
Cheers Darren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tabasco Don wrote:
Has anyone heard of what the total price might be for the steering upgrade? I have a new 2010 that I'd like to upgrade. Should I plan on selling a kidney or is it something I can afford on regular wages? Also is there a line to get in to purchase one or will they be available pretty easily once they start shipping?

No need to sell any body parts. I talked to one of the dealers and was told around $85. They are 2-3 weeks from shipping them. Looks like there is a few pieces they added to the kit I saw earlier. It's a nice beefy setup!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen the new steering lever location, and my personal recommendation would be to save your money and forget about waiting for the new steering parts to become available. The new steering lever is located in a position where you will still have to reach for it, thus becoming uncomfortable when frequent steering corrections are required. And...you will lose some of your horizontal rod storage.

With a few hand tools and a little mechanical knowledge, which you'd need anyway if you plan to install the new steering lever yourself, you can reposition the current steering handle to the side of the seat (I repositioned mine to the left side). Its in a more relaxed position for my arm now, and at times when frequent steering adjustments are required it is much easier now than when the steering handle was located under the seat.

Check this link for pics and helpful instructions: http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/CaptRon_bucket/Pro%20Angler/?start=20 (link edited by admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

The link was truncated because the [url] code was not used. You can right click a link like that to copy the full one, but selecting with the cursor does not get the complete url.

Should be: http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/CaptRon_bucket/Pro%20Angler/?start=20

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

YakFish:
I've looked at your pics of the "seat-side" mounting for the steering control, and I agree with you. This is a pretty simple, no-cost mod that provides a more comfortable steering position. Very clever fix. I'm planning to make this mod over the winter.

My one comment on you execution of this mod: Why not use the original steering bracket from the right underside as the source for your "side mount" bracket? The right and left brackets seem to be identical. You're not using the right bracket anyway, and you can leave the left side intact. This gives you the flexibility to install the steering control either sideways or in the orginal left under-mount. Just a thought.
Cheers!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Man I love this forum! I looked at those photos. You guys should write text books for a living. There was so much detail in info in that link that it made me think that with that for a reference, even I could do that. I think I'll wait till I see what the kit looks like and where it and how it mounts. With the guys on this forum I'm sure someone will send in some pics once they get one. I have a question about the side of the seat mount. Does the handle tend to rub on your leg? I'm kind of what they call Plus Sized to be polite and my a-- and legs pretty much take up the whole seat with not a lot of room to spare. There is a reason that my name has a condiment in it. Thanks Tabasco Don

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Does the handle tend to rub on your leg? I'm kind of what they call Plus Sized to be polite and my a-- and legs pretty much take up the whole seat with not a lot of room to spare. There is a reason that my name has a condiment in it. Thanks Tabasco Don

Hey Tabasco Don...I'm not exactly a small guy (+250) and the steering handle doesn't press against my leg when repositioned on the side of the seat. You shouldn't have a problem if you remove the knob from the end of the handle to ensure plenty of space. If your leg does rub, then its easy enough to reposition the steering handle back under the seat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt - Any update on the shipping of the steering upgrade?

Thanks

Steve