Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Mast tang SE to Sport
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:00 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 108
I am converting my SE to Sport. My mast has a tang, and the sole fixing bolt also serves to secure the com tip.
I noticed there is another tang introduced after my boat was delivered. Is there any need for me to use the later version of the tang, or will the original tang be OK with the extra load of a jib?

Secondly, I can get a spare traveler for a reasonable price. However it carries the larger diameter bearings and I would need to replace my track to make it work. I understand the lighter traveler is prone to fail, but is the heavier one any better? Is it worth changing over?

Third, my original main is a sorry affair, all mylar completely delaminated. I would really appreciate another main. It does not need to be brilliant, nor class legal but sufficient for knockabout day sailing. I don't race against 17's but there are a few arrogantly inclined H16 owners I would like to embarrass... If anyone has a redundant (but not on life-support) main please be in touch - gmhendo (at) skymesh.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:18 am 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: Detroit, MI
gmhendo wrote:
I am converting my SE to Sport. My mast has a tang, and the sole fixing bolt also serves to secure the com tip.
I noticed there is another tang introduced after my boat was delivered. Is there any need for me to use the later version of the tang, or will the original tang be OK with the extra load of a jib?

No need to change the tang unless you want to. The later version of the tang is the same used on 16s - a lot of the 17s parts come from the 16 and 18.

gmhendo wrote:
Secondly, I can get a spare traveler for a reasonable price. However it carries the larger diameter bearings and I would need to replace my track to make it work. I understand the lighter traveler is prone to fail, but is the heavier one any better? Is it worth changing over?
I used to carry two extra travelers when I had the old style. If you moved it under load, it was toast. Not only that, when they go bad, they chew up the track, making it much more likely to eat the next traveler.

I've never had to replace one of the new style, either on the 16 or 17. It's much better. I'd consider it a necessary upgrade on the 17.

gmhendo wrote:
Third, my original main is a sorry affair, all mylar completely delaminated. I would really appreciate another main. It does not need to be brilliant, nor class legal but sufficient for knockabout day sailing. I don't race against 17's but there are a few arrogantly inclined H16 owners I would like to embarrass... If anyone has a redundant (but not on life-support) main please be in touch - gmhendo (at) skymesh.com.au

Sorry, can't help you with that one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:19 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 108
Thanks for that. Not possible to use existing old track with the larger car?

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: Detroit, MI
gmhendo wrote:
Thanks for that. Not possible to use existing old track with the larger car?

No. The wheels are too big to fit in the track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9307
Location: Oceanside, California
If your boat has the original (long strap with single bolt attachment) tang... we do recommend replacing it with the current version when converting to sport.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group