Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winterize Hobie 21
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First winter with my Hobie 21 in Toronto Ontario. It will be kept outside on its trailer and wonder if you have any ideas on what I need to do to winterize it. Mast kept up, should I leave the wings?

Post subject: Re: Winterize Hobie 21
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put RV anti-freeze into the wing sockets (about a third full)and leave those wings on my tramp hanging between the line behind the forward cross bar and over the end of the rear cross bar.One on each side of the boat.I also install 2" round plumbing test plugs into those wing sockets and hand tighten.I caulk around those test plugs with a small amount of RTV silicon caulking to be sure no water enters pass the seals.I use three set of cedar 2 by 4's that have a hinge holding them together to create a "tent" like structure over the entire boat and mast completely protecting my boat from rain,snow and UV rays.Put pieces of neoprene pads over radius's under your cover to keep that cover from wear and tie them down with string before cover goes on.After each snow fall,push off all snow from cover to keep the weight down and keep ice from building up.Give your boat plenty of love and it will love you back...Bill 404 21SE

Post subject: Re: Winterize Hobie 21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put 3/4" pipe wrap foam into the wing tubes and then silicone wide mouth mason jar lids on top of the holes. I crank the front of the boat as far as possible to drain hulls then remove drain plugs and put them in the Hobie Hell Box A cheap tarp is next 20' X 16' over the whole boat I stick a few holes in the tarp to help emergency drainage Poly Glow on the comp tip and this chore is over
:lol: :lol:
Gary