Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Guys,

1st Post! Thought Id say HI!

I took the new TI out yesterday solo. Car topping the TI solo on my crappy old Hilux was challenging but I got it on and off OK, time consuming though. Go those leg squats!

It was pretty blowey out on the bay, decent swell and white caps everywhere, and I nearly wimped out, but I thought screw it, lets do it. After 5 mins on the water, I knew she wasn't going to roll unless I did something dumb, and opened her up and was flying across the bay. A very wet ride with waves crashing over hull and the bow submerging, but awesome fun!

After being a crew member on a bigger Yacht for some years, it was fun to get back on the waterline and go nuts. Ill get the wife or a mate out next time for sure.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great work!

It is a little scary the 1st time the bow submerges. I was used to sailing a cat and was a little worried when the bow cut into the wave instead of going over it!

Then I read the forum; it told me that this was part of the design :D

This is how I top my boat. I put the main hull on 1st (I have the sail attached to the bow) then just add the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the fourm Steve. Sounds like you had a ball. Botany Bay is on my to-do list. Been meaning to get down there some time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Indeed lots of water coming over, I might try the backseat and stick some sandbags or some sucker I know in the front ;)

Nice idea for tying down the boat. Ill give that a go!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Houghto. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage. How did you do your car topping ? I do the same with an AI and use an extension attached to the front roof rack. I then lift the bow of the AI up onto it, then lift the stern onto the rear roof rack, then slide the bow of the AI across to the center of the roof rack. Do you do similar ? I'll send some photos if you like or have you got it sussed ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cowsgomoo wrote:
Welcome to the fourm Steve. Sounds like you had a ball. Botany Bay is on my to-do list. Been meaning to get down there some time.

Thanks! Botany Bay is nice enough, great for small sailing craft being so big and open, though I think the Hacking is a prettier waterway (however its like George St on weekends full of all manner of boats).

I just moved back from Woy Woy, and Brisbane Water was a great place to Kayak around too.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Slaughter wrote:
Hi Houghto. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage. How did you do your car topping ? I do the same with an AI and use an extension attached to the front roof rack. I then lift the bow of the AI up onto it, then lift the stern onto the rear roof rack, then slide the bow of the AI across to the center of the roof rack. Do you do similar ? I'll send some photos if you like or have you got it sussed ?

Hi there!

yeap exact same technique, Rack & Roll Bar I think? No way I could lift a TI's full weight without it. I used the leg extension thingy too to take some weight off the bar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Houghto. It certainly was a great day sailing when you went. Congratulation on your maiden voyage. 8)

I too hope to be sailing on my maiden voyage soon. My dealer advised me today that the Ivory Dune TI I ordered have arrived in the country – just. They’re currently at the distributor, and my dealer is simply waiting for their orders to arrive at the shop. So hopefully I’ll be in the water in the next week or two. 8)

One Question...How difficult/easy was it to load the TI on the roof with just one person?

I too will be car toping my TI but I’ll have the assistance of the Yakima Showboat (attached to my Thule racks) to make it easier. I suspect it’ll be a lot of trial and error the first few times.

Paul67, your Subaru Liberty looks small when the IT is on top. Goes to show how long the TI really is.

I initially was going for your set up – Thule Goalpost. But the rear door mount spare tyre of my Pajero was in the way. The hitch tongue on the Goalpost wasn’t long enough to clear it. Plus with the Goalpost, I wouldn't be able to open my rear door, unless I remove it first. So Yakima Showboat it is.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't find it too hard to chuck it up on my roof. I prefer to do it by myself as I have control!

I have it down to a fin art (I think). One thing I would suggest is to get a 2nd set of wheels. A small set of wheels at the back to help remove the TI from the roof; the 2nd pair of wheels in the middle to help transport the TI to the beach. I found that to take the TI off the roof roll it over change the position of the wheels for transport is/was a pain.

I don't think that Car Topping is as hard as people say :!:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Houghto wrote:
Indeed lots of water coming over, I might try the backseat and stick some sandbags or some sucker I know in the front ;)

Steve,

I always sail my TI from the rear seat (I weight about 230 lbs/104 kilos). You don't have to put any weight up in front. Here's a picture to show how the bow comes up: Image
There's no way the bow will submarine.

It probably wouldn't be smart to have trampolines installed if you're sailing solo. They might catch too much air.

A second advantage to sailing in the rear seat is that you can see what your sail is doing without kinking your neck.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I sail alone I use a 5 gallon collapsible water jug filled up and put in the front hatch. Helps keep the bow from bouncing around so much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks good advice.

I'm keen to use the back seat too but in the strong wind and first sail I thought it wise to be in reach to furl the sail. I might have to investigate rigging it up to furl from the back......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first month, I started out in the front. Then I migrated to the back.

For furling the sail from the back, you can tie the furling line to the main sheet. Also you might want to put a wedge in the furling cleat (there is thread about). I will try to find it.

It has hard to get the furling cleat to lock from the back. The wedge will lift the cleat up just enough to make it easier to cleat.

Oh one more thing, I rerouted my main line to get 3-1 pull, which seems to help a bit when winds are high.

Happy sailing!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great tips guys,

Found the wedge thread and installed it, and went out for my second sail yesterday. I got a tough 40L drybag and filled it with water and strapped in into the front seat. I drew a smiley face on it and named him 'Wilson' ;)

Had a great sail in medium winds with lots of chop. Didn't need to reef the sail in but back seat driving is where its at! !!

However I I'm nealy too embarrassed to admit...I left the heavy duty wheels on underneath and didn't realise until I was out in the middle of the bay! I had to reach underneath to pull it out, I'm lucky the bungee didn't snap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh shoot, sorry forgot to look up the thread! Got distracted with the Thanksgiving things. Glad you found it.

Wilson. LOL. That's funny.

As far as the wheels go, cool, glad you did not loose them. I think the air in the tires would keep them pushed up against the boat.

Did you gain some speed after getting them?