Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: San Diego Classic Date
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Putting up for further discussion the problem that the date for the Classic directly conflicts with the North Americans in Rhode Island. Division 3 had their Bodega Bay event likewise in conflict and just moved it back 2 weeks. If the necessary support can be obtained, and help to do it, could we do the same, with the consideration that the Classic is possibly the biggest event on the West Coast and a number of boats from both D2 and D3 will not be able to attend due to the NA's. The event might be diminished without full participation. Moving it two weeks further into September does not appear to conflict with any other events on the calendar. Please advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

September 18 - 24 is the Formula 18 North Americans. That takes place in Illinois. We seem to have a few Tiger sailors interested in going to that as well. About the same problem as Hobie Nationals.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To put things in perspective, we had the exact same conflict a few years back for the Syracuse continentals. By my count we lost Ziolkowski/Finnas, Sparkuhl/McKenna, DeLave/Haubl, Leo/Abbott and Montague/Ward that year... a total of 5 boats.

Great point about the F18's too, Dan. I'm not sure which is the bigger draw this year. Do you have any idea specifically who is really going to the 16's vs. F18's?

To avoid conflicts for both events, we'd also need to consider transit times for boats, and basic sailor recovery time. i.e., is a Div3 sailor actually likely to do Rhode Island, Bodega Bay and San Diego back-to-back-to-back?

It's always a tricky situation, and I'm not sure there's much we can do. Which weekend are we talking about again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave:

I do not know exactly how many will go to the Formula 18s in Illinois, but I think there will be a full 6 boat trailer going, at the very least.

For the the Syracuse 16 Nationals we chartered a boat to participate. I think that was true of all the CA teams. Wait, I think that Dave Sparkuhl used the boat he won in a raffle.

Anyway you may be able to find out if there are boats for charter, and how many, to determine who may be going.

Here's another fact: You can get more Tigers on one trailer than you can 16's. We do not mind taking our boats apart. Therefore you have a larger group willing to travel for a regatta because we can use the fewest cars.

I am not saying to change the regatta dates I just wanted to put Gordo's initial statement in context.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well guys, sorry I didn't factor in the F18's. Looks like the whole problem may be too much to do anything about. I'm just bummed that the Classic will be missed by anybody here that looks forward to it every year, of course, as things stand one of them would be me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As an aside. I've checked on charter boats for the NA's in Rhode Island and the word is they are all reserved for Carribean and Mexican teams, since they will have the longest distance to travel. The other word is that there could possibly be several six stack trailers provided by Hobiecat to the various regions to bring those coming from the west, central, canadian, etc. locals. It's still only rumor though, so keep tuned.