Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

going to have final look at boat this weekend but owner said it needs sails they are shot... dont know what degree that is yet but am wondering what and where to purchase new sails. any experiences square top, pin top, materials???
boat is a 1989 bought in 91 new
Thanks,
Ted

Post subject: Re: new sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ted,
I have looked at Whirlwind Sails(on the internet only) and like their product line.I got my replacement sails from Salty Dog but he is out of the sail making business.My "new sails" are maybe 17 to 18 years old and look great.The square head sails where not out than and I simply had Don(Salty Dog) make a matching size sail for my original sail.Dacron is what holds up the best,I had white sails made with red corners.Someday, I will have new Stars and Stripes sails made to match my original somewhat which have been in my attic since my new ones where made.I will go with the square top design and have a slightly larger Genoa sail made also.I still use my original Prosail spinnaker that for 21 years old looks fine.I also have a storm jib that is "bomb proof"(very heavy dacron) for when the wind really howls that is in near new condition too.Plan on ordering what you want and don't settle for a cheaper quality product.You will get what you pay for...
Good Luck ,Bill 404 21SE :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Calvert Sails They are 20 years old and still look great and they are square head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Go with Chip @ Whirlwind. He used to work for hobie. I have a spin for my 18 Mag built from him and the workmanship is outstanding! His prices are also very competitive. Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone ordered sails from Kelley Hanson? I saw them on sale on the beachcat site and then on eBay. The price is good but don't know if the size of material and workmanship are why they seem like a good deal.

The Whirlwind site does look good for a squarehead sail.

Thanks
Drew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think those Kelly sails are lighter weight?When buying new sails,I think you get what you pay for.The Calvert sails look good but more expensive than Whirlwind sails. Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got a pentex squaretop main and dacron jib for my 21SE from Chip at Whirlwind. Great service, good prices, absolutely perfect sails, huge step up in speed from my old originals. He applied the Hobie "H" on the main perfectly too. I'm a fussy customer, Chip came through with high marks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Beachboy wrote:
I got a pentex squaretop main and dacron jib for my 21SE from Chip at Whirlwind. Great service, good prices, absolutely perfect sails, huge step up in speed from my old originals. He applied the Hobie "H" on the main perfectly too. I'm a fussy customer, Chip came through with high marks.

hey thanks for the info do you have any pictures of sails. when did you have them made? do you still have boat,
Thanks Ted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 pm 
Here are some pics of my Hobie 21SE sails #270 and also my Nacra 5.8 #656.
http://picasaweb.google.com/BigMacSailing/LakeSailing?authkey=Gv1sRgCMiShNnOkq6g2AE#

Both the Nacra 5.8 and Hobie 21SE sails were made by Elliott Pattison Sailmakers http://www.epsails.com/. I dealt with Skip Elliott and also his son. The colors are limited but they are great sails. I have also heard good things about Whirlwind.

My 21SE buddy got new sails this year and had more color choices. His are made by Doyle http://www.doylesails.com/ and I guess $500-$800 more than mine. Here are some pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/14146196@N03/sets/72157624185283612/. They are nice sails; powerful, light.