Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How fast is your Tandem Island?

Yesterday, I sailed my Tandem solo beside Ted on his AI.

Track

Speed

Max speed:

AI: 8.8 knots
TI: 8.9 knots

This was done sailing in a small lake in 15 knot winds. Full sail. No reef. No jib. No current. No waves. No surfing.

I wish to learn how to sail her to her max.

Can anyone beat this? If you do, please share with us how you did it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I take my TI out every weekend, Most of my sailing is in Sarasota bay,FL, though I go down to Key West quite often (better wind in Key west).
With just the mainsail I have been out in pretty much all conditions from 5mph winds to 20 mph winds. With just the mainsail up I have a hard time getting any faster than around 5-6 mph (on gps) typically. In low wind under 8 mph (typical in Sarasota bay) it is not so fun, unless you like going 1.5-2 mph. Because I typically sail in low wind conditions I added a Jib sail, which improves the performance a little ( 2-4 knots improvement). But the boat still is very slow downwind or reach. In order to get better downwind performance I added a 135 sq ft spinaker sail, which boosts the performance of the boat to the point where it is fun even in low wind conditions. The asymmetrical spinaker works well with winds anywhere from 90 to 270 degrees (reaching I think it's called). But doesn't work at all upwind. With a steady downwind I can get up to around 12 mph (gps). I don't put the Spinaker up in higher winds (>15mph- "too much sail"). My extra rigging is really only intended to improve low wind performance (typical in Sarasota). I have made the run from Saint Armands Key to Anna maria island and back several times now (about 20-25 miles round trip), the trip typically takes an afternoon. I'm also an avid Scuba diver, and am working up toward a sail to Egmont key (about 30 miles total). My wife thinks I am nuts since there is a public launch only a mile or so from egmont key, but where would be the fun in that. I have been caught out in the gulf a couple times now when the wind died (near sunset), or breakdowns and as a safety I added a small gas motor to the rig (24 lbs, 2 hp), just for backup I have only needed to use it once so far, but feel it is neccessary for safety when going out to sea. I had to use the motor in Key west when my rudder broke 4 miles west of key west, ran aground and the spectra rudder line broke (pretty hard to sail without a rudder). I recommend everyone do the rudder mods recommended by Hobie (on this forum). I performed the mods and no longer have rudder problems. My next project is to make a 155% jib sail, but am in no hurry (the smaller jib (about 25 sq ft) I now have works great, can still easily control the boat even in high winds). I don't recommend taking the TI out in winds over 20mph and waves over 3 feet (been there done that,,,not fun). I have maybe 400 or 500 sailing miles on the sails now, and they are still going strong, the TI is a really good boat (now they have the stupid rudder fixed). Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with your conclusions regarding the TI... it is a fast and fun boat. With the mainsail alone, I have maxed out at 11 knots (12.5 mph).

12 mph downwind with your asymmetrical spinaker is pretty amazing. And a 2-4 knot improvement with your jib is a considerable boost too. Well worth the effort to setup for your longer trips (20-30 miles).

Do you have any photos of your jib, asymmetrical spinaker and motor setup?

Where do you mount and control your motor?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I unfortunately have no pics (lost camera in Key West in my rudder incident, they don't float). Not sure how to post pics here anyway.
I control the motor with the tiller, or sometimes just lock the motor straight and use the rudder. The motor is mounted in the fishing rod holders in the back, (two pieces of 1 1/2 PVC and two 3/8 steel rods through the PVC pipe, the rods are buried into a 2x4 (motor mounts on the 2x4), and tilts up when not in use, I think it's a Kamo motor, I bought the motor in St Pete at www.ioutboardmotors.com).
It took an hour or two to build the motor mount and it works great (about $15-$20 bucks), they also sell the mounts. I typically don't use the motor, it's only for safety, I just peddle through the harbor at Sarasota sailing squadron (nice bunch of people), unless I am very exhausted, then I'll motor back in. I plan to buy that Hobie Evolve system, but can't afford it quite yet. I have a design ready for a propeller driven charger that will mount at the back of the boat, halfway up the guy cable to the mast (I had to add guy cables to support the mast with the big 135 sq ft spinaker). I'm an Engineer/inventor/nerd so alot of the fun for me is designing, and building the stuff, then trying it out. I design and make all my own sails, and have designed and built several boats from scratch (mostly racing hydroplanes (many years ago). I love my Hobie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mkrawats,

I only have had one really good day of sailing next to an AI that was sailed by a very experienced sailer. He had tramps on his AI and would go out on them instead of reefing at times. The TI was quite a bit faster on all points of sail except maybe DDW (dead down wind) which I avoid whenever possible. In order to stay next to him I would have to role my sail up to slow my boat down.

I have recorded 9.5 to 9.9 knots max speed on several ocasions which is around 11 mph.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you slowed down for the AI, what was the difference in speed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
When you slowed down for the AI, what was the difference in speed?

I don't know because I don't think he had a GPS. I would guess I was about a knot faster or 10 to 20%. The TI was quite a bit faster.

I experience the same thing when my wife is in her AI and I am in my TI but she usually sails with her Mirage drive installed which accounts for some of the difference.

2008 AI