Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast tang SE to Sport
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am converting my SE to Sport. My mast has a tang, and the sole fixing bolt also serves to secure the com tip.
I noticed there is another tang introduced after my boat was delivered. Is there any need for me to use the later version of the tang, or will the original tang be OK with the extra load of a jib?

Secondly, I can get a spare traveler for a reasonable price. However it carries the larger diameter bearings and I would need to replace my track to make it work. I understand the lighter traveler is prone to fail, but is the heavier one any better? Is it worth changing over?

Third, my original main is a sorry affair, all mylar completely delaminated. I would really appreciate another main. It does not need to be brilliant, nor class legal but sufficient for knockabout day sailing. I don't race against 17's but there are a few arrogantly inclined H16 owners I would like to embarrass... If anyone has a redundant (but not on life-support) main please be in touch - gmhendo (at) skymesh.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

gmhendo wrote:
I am converting my SE to Sport. My mast has a tang, and the sole fixing bolt also serves to secure the com tip.
I noticed there is another tang introduced after my boat was delivered. Is there any need for me to use the later version of the tang, or will the original tang be OK with the extra load of a jib?

No need to change the tang unless you want to. The later version of the tang is the same used on 16s - a lot of the 17s parts come from the 16 and 18.

gmhendo wrote:
Secondly, I can get a spare traveler for a reasonable price. However it carries the larger diameter bearings and I would need to replace my track to make it work. I understand the lighter traveler is prone to fail, but is the heavier one any better? Is it worth changing over?
I used to carry two extra travelers when I had the old style. If you moved it under load, it was toast. Not only that, when they go bad, they chew up the track, making it much more likely to eat the next traveler.

I've never had to replace one of the new style, either on the 16 or 17. It's much better. I'd consider it a necessary upgrade on the 17.

gmhendo wrote:
Third, my original main is a sorry affair, all mylar completely delaminated. I would really appreciate another main. It does not need to be brilliant, nor class legal but sufficient for knockabout day sailing. I don't race against 17's but there are a few arrogantly inclined H16 owners I would like to embarrass... If anyone has a redundant (but not on life-support) main please be in touch - gmhendo (at) skymesh.com.au

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that. Not possible to use existing old track with the larger car?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

gmhendo wrote:
Thanks for that. Not possible to use existing old track with the larger car?

No. The wheels are too big to fit in the track.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

If your boat has the original (long strap with single bolt attachment) tang... we do recommend replacing it with the current version when converting to sport.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)