Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I did a quick search to find out if people remove their tramps for winter storage. The discussion I saw was related to their potential removal because of snow load and ideas for fitting tarps to get around tramp removal. Fair enough - quite appropriate for where I live. However my question, assuming you can avoid snow load, is related to whether they should be removed simply to alleviate normal stress and stretch. I had to tighten the tramp lines several times because of stretching this summer (new getaway) and was wondering whether removing them during the winter would lengthen their life? Does anyone remove them for this reason?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the same question with my Wave. I have a Hobie tarp & cut some holes in to for drainage & was thinking about putting some wood 2 X 4s under the tarp to help with snow load.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here in Wis, i remove my tramps Ev year. the key is to do it Before it gets cold. this will make them (mine) quite brittle. still running '78 tramps. faded with repairs on the straps but, orig.

eric, sail #205

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Winter StorageWinterize - People living in freezing areas or areas prone to high wind damage should use common sense regarding winter or long term storage. Lower the mast, remove trampolines, lines and properly cover your boat to reduce UV, dirt and debris wear / damage to your hull and metal surfaces. All sails, trampolines, lines etc. should be removed and stored in a dry indoor location.

Mast up storage - is never recommended. High winds and constant motion of the rig can and will cause excessive wear and damage to the mast, rigging and hull components.

Freezing - of water trapped inside you boat can be quite damaging. Water expands with considerable force when it freezes. Just as pipes burst when left to freeze, water trapped in confined spaces can burst the structure of your boat. Mast receivers, wing tubes, masts, hulls etc. should all be carefully inspected and drained of any water prior to the first freeze of the winter. Boats should be stored, covered or prepared in such a way as to prohibit water or snow from collecting on or in the boat.

Specific warning about water collection for Hobie Wave masts
The two piece design of the Hobie Wave mast allows for some water collection at the mast to CompTip joint. Water left in this location on masts left upright during freezing conditions has been known to fail the lower mast sealing plug. This allows water to drain into the lower mast over time which when freezing causes the mast to expand and fail near the bottom of the mast.

Snow - The weight of snow collecting on top of a boat can be considerable. Boats should be stored in such a way as to limit the collection and damaging weight of large amounts of snow. Failure to keep snow weight off can cause damage or deformation of the keels at their contact points on a trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Way down here in Louisiana we don't worry about accumulating snow. However, I am concerned that exposing the trampolines to night-time freezing temperatures could cause the trampolines to become brittle with time. I remove my trampolines (vinyle on the 14, mesh on the 20) prior to the first freeze of the winter. In my case, that's around Thanksgiving. Removing the tramp and strapping the boat down to the trailer decreases the chances of wind from a winter storm catching your boat and damaging it. When the tramp is off, I place a couple of 2x2s across the frame and lay my tarp over them. I pamper my 20 and put foam rubber between the boards and the hulls. I've put grommets in the tarps in the gaps between the frame and the boards to allow water to drain through. The weight of snow might not make tarps across the frame a feasible option up North. As a rule, if you don't want it exposed to the elements, take it inside or otherwise cover it up. My rudders and all lines come off too.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks all, great information. It's too late for me to take the tramps off this year as the cold has already settled in around here, but next year I will be sure to remove them. At least they won't be bearing any snow load.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I removed the tramps my first year, then left them on last year and regretted it (had to shovel snow off them from time to time, and they got pretty dirty even thought they were covered with a UV guard fabric).

They're not hard to remove (20 minutes) and maybe an hour to lace back on. And you get them nice and tight in the process.

It gets really cold here (-40F/C), so I make sure the hulls are dry and strip everything off (mast, tramps, wings).