Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, I've just upgraded to the double bungee attachment to stop the AMA's slapping about (idea came from here- http://yakass.net/articles/87-equipment ... a-security).

I thought I'd do the right thing & got the Hobie tool to remove the single bungee's without totally destroying them. Well basically it was a total waste of $$. It cost $9 or $10 here in Australia & caused damage & didn't even budge them. The ever useful needle nose pliers I used however caused almost no damage & worked a treat, I should have done that in the first place but live & learn.

I hope this saves someone else a few $$

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I found needle-nose pliers to do the better job of the two as well. Fortunately I didn't buy the special tool first.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Did you try using vise grips clamped to the tool? Can't imagine the tool doing damage that a needle nose would not.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had no trouble using the tool, though it can easily slip if you aren't applying enough downward force.

Those screw in fittings can get crusty and need some lube first. Pliers might give you more leverage for these. (The threaded holes on my hull/Amas were full of plastic shavings from the factory, which made things tighter).

Someone should note that the Hobie hand tool is designed for use only with the exposed hull fittings (bungee, padeye, cleat) and NOT the recessed bungee fittings found inside the front hatch.

Those hatch fittings require that you use a needle-nose.

Good choice going with the double bungee system bongorust, I did this mod and love it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't try the vice grip idea but I can see how the extra leverage would help, though heaps of downward would still need to be applied. I certainly put as much pressure as I could, not that I'm a huge bloke.

I did the mod on my TI that's not very old but it did have a lot of shavings like Noh said.

It's a great mod I highly recommend, I've rigged the bungee through the hooks in a way that allows me to adjust the tension on both bungee's. If need be you can stand on the AMA without it popping out, as long as there is not someone on the other AMA.