Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I lost my A,I's sail off my roof rack, because I thought if I tied it to tightly It may do damage to the sails plastic window. How do most of you tie down your sails without doing damage to them?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine stays in the bag, wedged between the Amas and hull. Two tiedown straps go over all the hulls, but do not tie onto the sail.

For security, I wrap bungees a couple times around the ends of the sail (the tip and heavy plastic base) and fasten these to the carry handles at each end of the hull. That's all that is needed up to 60 MPH.

The mylar window panel is only on the lower half of the sail, so if you secure your straps above this, and use bungees you should have no worries.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use ski holders. They hold the sail securely, with no damage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep mine the bag also; I clip it to the bow. I then run the mast through the wheels (it can not move up/down or left or right). Take a look at the photo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I may buy a PVC drain pipe and transport my mast and sail inside that. It costs $2.06 U.S. per foot on-line for the 6" diameter pipe. 3000 LBS. crush WT. Only sold in 10' sections, but they cut as long as requested.

I can't carry my amas on top of my cross bars, because my husbands sea kayak is usually tied onto thouse bars, and our roof rack is too narrow to place them side by side. However I do have just enough space to secure the PVC pipe beside the main hull on the rack...I think?

Does this seem like a good idea? Anyone see any good reson not to go this route?
Thank you Amy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

amy wrote:
I think I may buy a PVC drain pipe and transport my mast and sail inside that. It costs $2.06 U.S. per foot on-line for the 6" diameter pipe. 3000 LBS. crush WT. Only sold in 10' sections, but they cut as long as requested.

I can't carry my amas on top of my cross bars, because my husbands sea kayak is usually tied onto thouse bars, and our roof rack is too narrow to place them side by side. However I do have just enough space to secure the PVC pipe beside the main hull on the rack...I think?

Does this seem like a good idea? Anyone see any good reson not to go this route?
Thank you Amy

I've seen someone else do that and it seemed to work. Make sure there is some sort of padding in the end caps if the mast is able to slide. Helps stop it punching through if you stop in a hurry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That pipe business sounds like a lot of extra work. And it means your sail/mast will be sliding back-n-forth and maybe pop a cap off unless the cap is secured. Would you leave the tube on your car all the time or attach/remove it each trip? Why not just use a bag and good shock cord or cam straps? I think most people do it this way. I've tranported mine hundreds of freeway miles fastened this way with no problems.

I do tie my mast/sail with the open bag end facing to the rear rather than the front as Nohuhu and Paul do, as per their pictures.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My bag opening is at the rear of the car. But I put my sail in the bag, bass-ackwards.

I'm just weird that way,..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
I'm so sorry you lost your sail.
When traveling with The AI's on our double AI trailer, after sliding the sails into their bags, we put short cam straps on our sails connecting them to the front and back cross bars. Because I didn't want to crease the sail material, I didn't cinch them up tight. I did add extra security by putting a shock cord around the bow of the AI and the top of the sail and another shock cord around the stern of the AI and the base of the sail. We left the sails this way when they were also loaded onto the ferry. When we returned home from our trip, I checked the sails and didn't notice any damage, although I can see how cinching them up like this could be damaging.

Reading these posts, I'm seeing this is an incorrect way to transport the sails. :shock: Any ideas on how I can transport them on the AI double trailer so they won't eventually be damaged?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to everyone for all your helpful comments and tips. What I have chosen to do, at least for the time being is,

Tie a line with a loop in one end around the foot of the mast above the roller Furler. Then, leading it forward, I tightened it securely onto the mast, above the Roller Furler but still below the sail. Then I form a loop in the end of the line leading it forward to the front of my car

I pass my down-haul from the bow of the boat through the loop and securing it to the bumper. There is no way this can slide toward the back of the car because it would have to break those down-haul lines first, and they will not break easily. Also I would notice it before it came off the car and have time to fix it.

Thank you all very much for all your helpful comments and useful tips. I'll keep you informed if anything further happens to my sail. But I think this will fix it, and it ts cheep and light. Making storage easy. Thank you all.

Amy