Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fin Adjustment?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

NOHUHU wrote:
What would you list as the main source of failures in your waters?
I'm probaably not the best person to ask. Most of what I break on the new Drives is something I've altered. Most problems I see long before they become failures. Like spark plugs, better to change them before they get too worn out to do their job. For instance, pedal adjustment holes on the drums elongate long before failure (unless the pin doesn't get fully inserted). About that time you can reverse (and regrease) the drums instead of ignoring them until one breaks at sea.

About the most frequent problem on the older (pre-'09) Drives is probably the same one you have -- Allen screws backing out and mast holes wallowing -- ultimately masts dropping out. Some of those screws don't seat fully, causing a problem to develop early for some. Similarly, I used to go through drums pretty fast with the pre-'08 Drives. Both of these issues have been essentially resolved with the redesigned (V-2) drums and sprockets.

IMO, most failures stem from users 1) not paying attention, 2) not knowing what to look for and 3) not knowing how to recover from it. The Drive then becomes less reliable for them. If something actually breaks on a Drive, most folks assume the Drive has failed and stop using it -- yet it's almost impossible to render the Drive inoperable. I managed to do it only once by simultaneously throwing both fins on one of my early linkage screw-ups -- couldn't get any propulsion out of bare masts. Broken pedal, crank arm, drum, chain, cable, mast, fin -- the Drive will still run between 50 and 90% thrust. I break one of my altered masts every once in awhile. It's no big deal to strip the dangling fin away and come in on one fin -- the properly adjusted remaining fin still delivers about 75 to 80% cruise speed on 50% thrust in spite of the boat's rock n roll motion.

As Bob implies, if one takes good care of their Drive (inspection, lube and adjustment) and knows it's capabilities, it will take pretty darn good care of them in any water. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was directed to this post from the Big Water's Edge forum in California where there is a current discussion on the subject of tuning Turbo Fins. It appears that we most of us are following the incorrect advice on the subject of blade tension.

I cannot find a way to send a private message on this forum so Roadrunner, if you have your ears on, please visit the BWE forum and wade in on a similar discussion we have going on.

Thanks,

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Done. Nice forum! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thank u guys great info!