Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Be Careful
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just read this... which freaked me out a bit considering i was sailing my AI at Cap Naturalist by myself in 25knot winds over Xmas... Anyone not familiar with the location, distance and conditions, from Cape Naturaliste to Rottnest Island would be Approximately 300km and is one of the windiest and what can be wildest places on Earth with what is known as the Roaring 40s.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/dunsborough-kayak-event-almost-turned-deadly-20110107-19is5.html

Dunsborough kayak event almost turned deadly
Fran Rimrod
January 7, 2011 - 5:14PM

Two men have been fined after a Dunsborough event they were hosting almost killed a group of kayakers.

A Busselton court ordered the duo to pay $1900 in fines and costs after they were found guilty of offences under the Navigable Waters Regulations.

The men had organised a kayak event in October 2008 in Geographe Bay.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Department of Transport South-West regional manager Peter Kiely said the two had failed to make appropriate safety arrangements and didn't seek the approval of his department to hold the event.

He said that during the event several participants were blown off their kayaks and out to sea as weather conditions changed near Cape Naturaliste.

"There were no safety or rescue arrangements in place and some participants were lucky to be rescued by recreational boaters passing by," Mr Kiely said.

"Other paddlers were blown out to sea and, once again, recreational vessels were coincidentally passing by and rescued the paddlers. The organisers were unaware because they did not have a list of participants."

Mr Kiely said some participants were taken by ambulance to hospital suffering from exhaustion. A lost kayak was found 30 km west of Rottnest a week later.

"If not for the recreational boaters passing by and the help of a commercial vessel and two Volunteer Sea Search and Rescue vessels, a fatality almost certainly would have occurred," Mr Kiely said.

Mr Kiely said the problems could have been avoided if the organisers had applied for approval to hold the event. The Department of Transport would have insisted on a range of safety measures including a manned rescue craft, adequate supervision ratios, participant lists, foul weather strategies and first aid planning.

Post subject: Re: Be Careful
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As Kayaking Bob always says: Leash yourself to the boat and carry a marine radio in unfavourable offshore conditions. Then it's not a matter of luck whether you get rescued. Yakass mentioned on his blog some time ago that the Coastal Patrol had told him they would rather you carried a marine radio, even if you are unlicensed, than drown.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leashing yourself to an AI/TI is one thing, but no one, except at great risk, leashes themselves to a sea kayak.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to disagree with you Keith, but after reading Sea Kayaker's "Deep Trouble" by Matt Broze & George Gronseth, I would ALWAYS leash myself to any 'yak more than easy swimming distance to shore (except during launch and landing) and leash anything I might need for a rescue to myself or the 'yak (but also carry a good sharp knife, always in reach).

Great book, disturbing, but highly recommended. Hard to read, a dozen true stories of others - many far advanced from us - dieing or barely surviving because of a few poor choices that any of us might (and probably do) make.

Always prepare for the worse, and practice with your equipment. Also, safety in numbers.

Thanks to Aloha Dan for passing a copy of this book around to most of the Hawaiian Kayak fishing Community!
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Kayakers-Deep-Trouble-Magazine/dp/0070084998

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I have a copy of Gronseth's book (& read it years ago, remember my age). Can't discuss leashing to a sea kayak, got a big trip coming up--shouldn't be taking this time, but this forum is always interesting.

I had to come back and add this: the difference between an AI and a sea kayak w/ regard to leashing is the leash on an AI is to keep you close & to prevent the boat from sailing away. You expect to re-board the AI quickly. With a sea kayak, which may be rolling and being tossed around in rough seas (that is why you are in the water), you can be easily tangled in the leash w/ deadly consequences.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have a good and safe trip Keith.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the link Bob. I just downloaded a Kindle version onto my phone. Talk about instant gratification 8).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
Reconlon,
That is a very good book. Just finished reading it two days ago. Started off using it as bedtime reading, but found the excess adrenaline running though my veins, made going to sleep almost impossible. What was great about the book was the advice given along with each story on what these folks could have done differently to have saved themselves the grief of getting into some pretty hairy situations or what they should have done to literally save their lives.
I have signed up for a 7 week nautical navigation class given by Mr. Gronseth starting next week. Fun class with valuable knowledge. It'll also help the winter pass more quickly :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A TI set up with the amas is not really the same kind of craft as a sea kayak, is it.

It's more a small multihull sailboat.

Unless you take the amas and akas off. Then it's an 18 ft. kayak. But not when it's all rigged up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The idea is not getting separated from your boat in an emergency, no mater what type of craft it is. If you get separated, self rescue is almost imposable and being seen for a rescue is much more difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With the exception of a larger sailboat that could drown you, or a boat that could actually sink (not a real plastic yak concern) or whitewater fun, then I am all for wearing a long surf leash on any kayak. Surf leashes are very easy to strip off, in a pinch.

For surfing breaks, in a monohull, I usually just use the paddle leash.

But then, I have bodysurfed my entire life and feel comfortable being tossed around in the waves.