Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: jib sheet cleats
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone have a solution to jib sheet cleating from the wing? My jib sheets lock up in the cleats when they are sheeted hard (which I think is necessary to point well) I often have to get off the wing and down to the block to uncleat and would rather have a setup that would cleat-uncleat from the wing, even when sheeted hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Swivel cam cleats won't work?? I'm not familiar with the SE setup, but would think these might be the ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They are, of course, swivel cam cleats. When you are on the wing the cleat is accross the boat, about ten feet away. That reduces the effective angle that you are moving the sheet. It's very hard to put enough tension on the sheet while holding it over your head. I need a cleating system that will uncleat with a small angle of line tension.
I've also put in the new style fairleads and new sheet. Still the sheet can get jammed in the cleat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

seen these? Spinlock PXR Camcleats

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/me ... ode=SPIPXR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen them. Know anyone that has used them? The claim is there. Are they actually easier to uncleat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search on this website and / or Catamaran Sailor Forum for the spinlock cleat. I'm sure you will come up with the answer your looking for.
Everyone has an opinion about equipment. :roll:

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put on the spinlock PXR's and they seem to work fine. i don't have any repetition on them as i just installed them but they fit perfectly and seeem to work great, very easy to release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After a summer with the PXR's I am happy to say they are an improvement over the cam cleats. Wife is the jib tender and she says they're much better.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oxen Blocks (Oschen) You have to keep em' clean ....
and lubed twice a season .... but great for light air and un----cleatable at all angles ... even when I am lying all the way forward on leeward in sub 6knts ... 8)

FROM previous posts:
There appears to be a set of used Oxen blocks at Sextant marine in Quebec. sextantmarine.com. You would avoid customs brokerage etc.

http://www.ensignspars.com/parts

I have a set of oxen blocks They are easy to use, quick to release, and very tough overall.
I've got an extra oxen block w/o sheave that I'll sell if anyone wants it.
Trey Brown
www.velocitysailing.com

Post subject: Re: jib sheet cleats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had this problem when there was a lot of tension on the jib, usually in high wind conditions. It turns out that there were ratcheting pulleys out at the jib effectively locking the rope in the cam cleat under high tension. I flipped the lever to disengage the ratcheting feature on the pulleys and solved the problem.

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I removed those cams from the blocks and installed them on the wings.I also added more cams on each wing.I placed them on the inward wing tubing at a place comfortable when sitting and screwed them down tight.I used silicon caulking to fill in the area under the cam to help support them.Be careful at what angle you screw them down because one of the cams I installed is a little too far rolled over the tubing and will let the line pop out sometimes.Just envision three sailors sitting on the wing and place those cams at a comfortable to use spot next to the each person.
While out in the trapeze,I just set my genoa line in the cam and can quickly adjust as needed.When I am not solo sailing I let my crew use whatever cam suits them.It is very easy to release the line and spill the area when needed.In lighter air,I like the feel of the genoa line and I don't cleat it.
When I first got my 21(back in '89) I capsized a few times when I could not release the genoa in high winds.So I started using a wing cam intended for my spinnaker and really liked it.I have been doing it that way ever since without a problem.
Good luck, Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the first things I did on the 21 was change the jib sheet system to the Harken 205 swivel base. I think I mounted them to the tramp track behind the slide track for the jib block, but I'll have to look at the boat to be sure-I put them on in 1988. With these, even my 110 lb. wife could easily cleat and uncleat the jib from anywhere on the wing.

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/in ... =205&frm=g

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom,
Let's see a photo of that set up.
Thanks,Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill, I went over and took a couple of pictures. The 205 swivel base is sitting on top of a black plastic wedge, right in front of, and directly in line with the jib block track. We have a big bullet block on top of the spring on the swivel base. These particular bullet blocks have beckets for no reason other than they were some I already had lying around. The block on the swivel bases does not use the becket. The stock ratchets are on the track with the cams taken off.

It's been 22 years since we made this modification, and I don't remember the thought process, but they have always worked without having to think about them.

Too many hoops to jump through on these forums to post pics. Drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll send them to you.