Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler & Surf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been thinking of buying a Pro Angler but Have been told they are no good for surf entry. Can anyone give me some advice on this.

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler & Surf
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:03 am 
Hobie Team Member

I have been launching into gulf of Mexico surf for years. The PA does great in medium surf, less than waist high. I tend to avoid bigger than that for pure safety and the fact that I carry a lot of gear. Landing is ALS very good in the PA. Raise the pedals and rudder and then surf it in using the paddle.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is nice to here. Around here about everyone has a Native or a Wilderness so it is nice to get info from a PA owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mythman fishes out of a PA on the TExas coast all the time. He should chime in sometime soon... He has one funny story, but most of the time is very successful on launches and landings..... Good Luck and go with the PA!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I plan on buying 2 Pro Anglers and the Hobie trailer or a Pa and a Outback and trailer. I fiqure with 2 kayaks I can always convince a buddy to go and enjoy some fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rafiki2cu wrote:
I plan on buying 2 Pro Anglers and the Hobie trailer or a Pa and a Outback and trailer. I fiqure with 2 kayaks I can always convince a buddy to go and enjoy some fishing.

I'll be your buddy :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Generally I don't have any problems re-entering the surf in my Pro Angler, but I have to admit that I don't take the PA out in any surf over about waist to chest high.....and usually a whole lot less than that.

On my only trip out for 2011, I did flip my Pro Angler in a surf re-entry attempt. Actually the surf wasn't that bad, that day, but there were some large swells coming in and some of the sets were pretty big. It is the only time I have flipped the Pro Angler out of 45 trips offshore.

If the surf is over waist to chest high, I usually take another kayak out and leave my favorite kayak on the trailer.

Any kayak will flip, if it catches the right wave.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

theo61 wrote:
Landing is ALS very good in the PA. Raise the pedals and rudder and then surf it in using the paddle.

Guess I better practice surfing in my PA. The only real difficulty I have had on Lake Michigan has been coming in with a breaking surf. There is a lot to do in a short period of time (pullng & securing the Mirage Drive and retracting the rudder). I invariably get turned a little sideways to the surf while doing all this, and then have to paddle like crazy to get back in line with the waves. I have dumped a couple of times doing this, where the PA just rolls right over in a large breaker. Fortunately it is always pretty shallow where this occurs, so I can just round up all the lost gear and take "the walk of shame" back in to the beach.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 am 
Hobie Team Member

Jim_MI,
I don't take too many chances any more. I get everything secured before I enter the surf zone and just accept the extra work that comes with having to use that paddle thingy for the last 50 yards or so.

Good luck to all to avoid the walk of shame.

Ted