Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there! First off thanks for any input you might provide. About a year ago I once owned an 18’ solcat and would sail it all over a few lakes in central California. I loved that boat, but hated rigging the thing. Always felt like an “event” just to go sailing. A quick career change later and now I live in Hawaii. But unfortunately had to part with my Solcat. So I am in the market for a new cat and have been considering the pros and cons with both the bravo and wave. Due to limited space and storage a trailer is not going to be an option. I plan on car topping whichever one I am going to purchase. I understand the strain this can put on a vehicle but I am rather sure I will be ok. I have a Jeep Wrangler and I figure if the roll bars can support the weight of the jeep, a cat should be no problem right? Anyway I am having trouble making a decision with everything concerned ($$$ included). I do want an easy to rig drag down to the beach cat, but I already know my friends are going to want to come with me quite often which is why I have not settled on the bravo. I’m a big guy myself (6’2” 220 lbs) and think I’m plenty strong enough to throw a wave up on top of my jeep when we want to go out. But if that sounds too crazy, or just not feasible owning a bravo and going solo is better than no wave at all. I sure hope you can see my confusion. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought a used Wave last spring. EASILY car topable it was made for a quick assembly and dissasembly, thats the beauty of the design. It comes apart so each hull can be lifted on top of the jeep individually. I did it myself and Im 5'9" and 185lbs. on top of a Jeep commander. It assembled ready to sail in 25 minutes, I timed it. Though I now have a trailer for it so assembly from trailer to water is now about 10 minutes. As far as the comparison to the bravo, you certainly can entertain more on a wave and the wave is an absolute blast to sail in anything over 20knts. All that said if your 6'2" and 220 and want to bring friends aboard you may want to consider a Hobie Getaway. The wave is awsome single handled, but more than one adult and you cant fly a hull or rip around you would be sailing a little sluggish (well for me at least). The bravo I really wouldnt consider taking pasengers on it may get a bit cramped, the wave would offer more lounging opportunities for your guests.
Hope this helps.
-Todd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. My Jeep wrangler is a lot smaller than a commander. You think everything would still fit atop it? Also is there any more ware & tare on the boat from the assembly / reassembly?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can, just for starters, I'd rent several times until you get an idea what's what and what you like. Try carrying both too and see how you like the weight. Because you are coming off an 18' solcat!

Tandem Island always looked like an easy breakdown for car-topping too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as wear and tear goes the wave was designed as a car topable cat and they have succeeded. Take the hull weight into consideration as well because even though the wave is larger the bravo hull may weigh 150#s rather than each individual hull of the wave weighing 90#s or so each it will be easier to get the wave on top of the jeep. Also I stress you check the maximum load on the roof racks most standard roof racks may be rated for 100-150#s. My numbers are probably off but you get the idea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For car-topping, you'll want to be sure to get the Stanard or SE Wave (as opposed to a Club Wave). That's the version which is easily dis-assembled, otherwise the tramp has to be re-laced each time the hulls are separated.

There was a regular on this forum, Corey, who transported his SE Wave on a little pick-up and sailed almost daily. He said after a few weeks of lifting the 75 pound hulls on and off, and carrying them to the water, then rigging the boat; he could do it in about 15 minutes and looked like a real body-builder.

One of the Wave Class national champions (Patrick Green) sails an old SE, so there's no loss in speed with that version. He built a little trailer which is just wide enough to hold the two hulls and store all the parts. He can be re-assembled race-ready in a matter of minutes also.

If you're really wanting to car-top, remember a Bravo (one piece) is much heavier than the individual Wave hulls when it comes to lifting them above your car.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was torn between the Bravo and Wave, and ended up going for the Wave. I'm glad I did. It's faster than the Bravo, much more stable, and can carry much more weight. All round, a bigger and better boat. I almost always sail solo, dragging the boat over soft sand on rollers to the water, no problem. I only weigh 75kg but have been out with 3 on board, and we still flew a hull. I'd go for the Wave any day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well then. Thanks for all the information everyone. With all of your help and information I think I am going to settle on the wave. And I was not aware of the difference between the wave club and the SE models. I might have made a horrible mistake and would of have to lace up the tramp every time I took it out. That would have slowed things down a whole mess. I can’t help but wonder though what the feedback would have been if I posted this in the bravo board. Not that it would make much difference the information you guys have provided has made up my mind. Thanks to all of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I read your plan to cartop. If you can do so without taking the whole thing apart, you can spend more time sailing and less time putting the boat together to start and apart at day's end. You will need help to load it assembled. To cartop use a rack that will take the load or you will drop the whole thing on the road. I have seen this and it is ugly.

I would really suggest you look into a small trailer. The trailer makes everything about transporting the boat easier.