Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live on the Florida west coast and there are oysters and rocks pretty much everywhere we fish. My Outback is 4+ years old and because of all the scratches and "loose curls" of hull material, I recently used fine sand paper to remove these blemishes. Although the sanding was only superficial, it left the hull dull and drab. I would like to find out if there is an over the counter clear coat that can be successfully applied to the hull?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure if your talking about clear coat resin or clear coat auto paint. I know resin would not stay on as it doesn't flex at all and the hull would act more like a mold. Paint may stick but it's not going to do much for protecting the hull.

I live on the oyster beds and low tide at docks are a barnacle heaven. It took me about half a year, but, now I just don't look at the bottom of the kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

We do a flame surface prep on some models to smooth and polish imperfections. This also helps stick-on graphics adhere better. Might be able to do that. A wide flame propane torch is used like they use when you shrink wrap big stuff like boats for the winter.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks much for the heads up on the clear coat guys. And I was referring to the automotive type, but after reading the replies I guess I might be trying a torch. Although... training myself to be blind to the bottom may just be the best bet!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thats the problem with polyethelene, well that and the UV damage that degrades poly.Hopefully we will see a kayak unaffected by these things while still being affordable even though these yaks are barely affordable now.

Why do people say polyethelene is abrasion resistant? because honestly its not abrasion resistant in the least, abrasion resistance means that the kayak should show extremely minimal surface imperfections caused from abrasion, but polyethelene shows everthing even the most minor bump or scrape.To me thats not abrasion resistant, it should say that they are very puncture resistant but definitely not abrasion resistant.