Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

Strongly considering buying a hobie getaway for the upcoming sailing season. Wondering if anyone can provide insight on trailering the boat on a regular basis. There is a boat dock just a few miles from our house, but we don't have beach access anywhere so we will have to launch the boat each and every time we sail.

Is this going to be a HUGE pain?

Is it realistic to plan on trailering the boat 30 to 50 miles on a regular basis?

How long does it take to rig the mast and get ready to sail?

How long does it take to secure the boat to the trailer and get ready to travel?

Sorry for all the questions. We are really excited about getting our first Hobie. I appreciate everyone's time and all comments/feedback will be helpful!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a Getaway last August, loving it so far. We do trailer to a local boatramp and set up. The wife and I only have about eight set ups under our belt so far, but it's getting easier and faster as we are get more used to it. Working at a very leisurely pace, it would take the two of us an hour from arriving at the ramp to sailing away. It was down to 45 minutes after a few set ups. I'm sure this year it'll be closer to an half hour as we perfect the task. I wouldn't say it is a pain at all, unless you sailed on a daily basis. I can't comment on the 30 to 50 mile drive, as we are only 5 minutes away from the ramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don,

Gald to hear you are considering getting a beachcat. I lived in Salem, MA until last April and trailered my boat to launch every time. I had an H16 and then an H18. I was able to set my H16 up solo in about 15 minutes after arriving at the beach (I'll get to a good launch site near you soon). My H18 (which I haven't sailed nearly as much as I did my H16) takes me and my fiancee about 30 minutes to set up. We are still working on a system. Once you get used to setting up the Getaway the two of you could probably get set up in about 30 minutes, maybe less.

There is a free public launch at Sandy Point in Beverly. That is where I launched most of the time. It was 10 minutes from my house (I lived just off of Lafayette Street between Salem State and Derby Street). The launch is on Water Street in Beverly. To get there just take Bridge Street in Salem over the bridge into Beverly. The first light after the teh bridge is Water Street. Turn right. Beverly Marina is the large red building on your right. Keep going until you drive onto the beach. The road becomes the ramp. At high tide you will have to back down the ramp and that can take some practice. At mid tide is the perfect time to launch. You can drive onto the sand (I tow with my VW Passat, so almost anything has more ground clearance) and set up off to the side of the ramp. The biggest problem is finding parking. Just drive around the side streets and you will find a spot.

Salem Sound is a great place to sail. Get a chart and learn where the sumberged rocks are. Great Haste and the Aquavities tend to get over looked by day sailers. At low tide a Hobie will hit them if you are not paying attention.

Be careful sailing through Marblehead Harbor until you get very comfortable with your Hobie. Very few channels and you sit low to the water so you don't have a good view of other maneuvering boats.

I know the area pretty well (I crewed on the Fame for the first two years it was sailing) so please feel free to contact me with any questions. If you want to go for a sail on an H18 I can have a friend of mine who lives in Amesbury try to arrange a sail for you on his boat. Feel free to email me with any questions. Let me know what I can do to help.

Nick

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can rigg my getaway solo in about 15-20 minutes, with help it takes about 25-30. de-rigging is about the same. I often find it funny how much longer it takes the power boaters where I live, What do they have to rigg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, the power boaters usually get in my face if I take 10-15 minutes on the ramp. Then they are there for at least a half hour. I then ask if there is anything I can do to help them along. I always make freinds that way :)

I'm going to take a chance and say a potenitally antagonistic remark here...

At least where I sail and have sailed the typical power boater tends to not understand how thier boat works. They just turn a key and go. The seamanship is lacking. This is indicated by the ever present fender hanging over the side of the boat, the mess of the lines on deck, and the stubborn refusal to follow any right of way rules. I have found a general lack of respect for sail boats.

This said, I do know of many respectful and courteous power boaters but they are usually in the larger cabin boats and tend to be about 50 plus in age.

I'm done hijacking this thread now, back to the rigging discussion.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do it! Do it! Do it! Don't let trailering stop you from having some of the best fun on the water. Where I launch from shore it is impossible to back the trailer up with the jeep and into the water. I can easily unhook the trailer and roll it down into the water by myself, unload the boat, and pull the trailer back out and up on the beach. Of course it is real easy with 2 people but if I can manage by myself, then it should be no problem for you however you do it. Lifting the mast is a little more tricky by myself, but I have developed a great technique over the years to make it quick and easy. Like another person said it should take you no longer than 20 minutes to rig it and be out on the water. That's not too bad considering you will want to be out on it all day long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to everyone for your comments. We are going to go for it! Should be a great summer.