Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 14 tuning on hull+mast
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dear H14 sailors,

I am new to this forum. I am a boatbuilder, now making a 41ft sport carbon catamaran, my costumer has a broken hobie 14.

So I have to rebuild the broken hobie 14 too....

my customer has an idea to make a wavepiercing bow for her....like wildcat has...
he thinks that it will gives more volume at the front, and will be less pitch poles...and Develop the inside face to a rectangular transom with foam, glass .....since he is around 90kgs...

it could be funny, but I don't have any idea it will work or not.....

by tha way we rebuilt an old tornado into a wp bow and it works absolutely great on these small but straigth waves...

do you have any ideas about it?

I made some scatches

the other question is the mast....

I have to put a square top main on it and a code 0/genaker. ..will I have to put a pair os spreaders to the mast, or it is stiff enough?

I is worth to use a mast rotator?

Thank You your answers,

Lafouchat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Search for info on the F14's. None in the US that I know of, but a handful in Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You are better off buying or building another boat.

Wave piercing bows are a combination of profile (the lower forward protrusion) and cross section (wider down low, narrow on the deck).

A Hobie 14's hull is completely opposite to this, and trying to make it "wave piercing" will only add weight (where you don't want it).

Trying to make the 14 something it isn't is a guaranteed fail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanx,

The costumer doesnt want another small boat, he wants to fix it...
The idea comes from the decision 35 class, where it has kind of sideview as it has redrawn.
The weight wouldnt be so much, app 1,8kg per hulls with vakuumated prepreg carbon with foam.
We give a try I think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree with Matt, trying to change the Hobie 14 would be a bad, bad, bad idea. You couldn't come close to achieving what you want just by altering the bows. You would be better off starting from scratch to get true wave piercing bows--check out the A cats for ideas.

However, I have installed a screacher (Hooter, Code Zero whatever) on a 14 and it was a blast. It was a handfull, but I made it happen. Pictures are here:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=17781

The square top main was great in big wind, but horrible in the light stuff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If I was going to play around with this, instead of the wave piercing bows (which probably won't work out too well), I'd do something along the idea of anti-pitch pole foil instead. I'd also look into installing a front tramp to prevent the gennaker from going in the drink.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dan, what do you call that gooseneck type assembly in the boom for the outhaul setup? I'm thinking of a new main, loose footed, and that'd be nice... along w/upgrading to a rotator. Not sure the downhaul is worth it?

Thx,
Rob.

[quote="Dan Berger"]I agree with Matt, trying to change the Hobie 14 would be a bad, bad, bad idea. You couldn't come close to achieving what you want just by altering the bows. You would be better off starting from scratch to get true wave piercing bows--check out the A cats for ideas.

However, I have installed a screacher (Hooter, Code Zero whatever) on a 14 and it was a blast. It was a handfull, but I made it happen. Pictures are here:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=17781

The square top main was great in big wind, but horrible in the light stuff[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the rotator is really only important when sailing uni. When I had the jib or hooter and didn't sail dead down wind, the mast roatated just fine on its own. The downhaul is really important and the 'new' style adjustable on the fly is really nice.

I used an outhaul from a Prindle 16 on the 14 boom to get the adjustment on the loose footed sail.