Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Matt

I have a few questions that I think needs clarified. I purchased the Hobie Adventure with Sail Kit, larger rudder, and daggerboard.

I have only had the Adventure out three times and sailed her twice. I am not new to kayaks I had two before I ordered this one. I am not new to sailing, had a Hunter for two decades. But I am new to the Mirage system and sail rigging on a kayak. Should have gotten a cat instead.

1. Step 1 Tip: Should the mast be taped together with plastic or duct tape? Not that I am concerned with the aluminum shaft but the sail material.

2. Are there any plans in the works to make a mast which has a mechanical attachment to its other half and maybe a larger sail for the Adventure?

3. Step 6: “Run the mainsheet from the sail side, through the rear pad-eyeâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe I can help out on a few of your questions (I have upgraded from an Outback to an Adventure and have the sail kit for about 3 years). And incidentally last weekend I had the baby flying under sail..it was a blast:

1. I have never taped my mast together and have had no problems in several years

2. Over to Matt on this one!

3. The most important modification you can do for sailing is to attach a 6mm Harken Block to the rear padeye. It vastly improves sail responsiveness. There is no need to remove the carry handle.

4. I have found that threading it through the seat clip restricts the sail responsiveness...which is the trick to not ending up in the water. I have a daggerboard (which is a must for sailing..get one you wont regret it) and tie the sail line off to the daggerboard plug line to stop it being pulled back through the rear block. Some people recommend fitting a cleat to hold the sail line...I strongly suggest it is not a good idea as you cannot react quickly enough to gusts etc and will end up being dumped!

5. see 4. The idea is that when you take the sail down you leave the the mainsheet line running through the block attached to the padeye. I have also found that if you attach a 6 inch loop of cord to the right side of the front hatch it makes stowing the sail much more secure..you stick one end of the sail through the loop of cord and then attach it to the hull using the paddle bungee and it is nice and secure on the hull. When remove and putting up the sail put your legs over the side of the yak to satabilse it but you will find the daggerboard adds great stability.

6. You got me...Matt help!!!

I hope that helps and sorry Matt for stealing your thunder!!!

PS. The bigger rudder is not available in Australia yet...why does it take so long for accessories to get here? Sorry Steve thats a question for you I suppose!!

Cheers
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replay Booligal.

But I am looking for Hobies replay. I am trying to write a review on their product and I do not wish to mislead readers. Hobie has long been a sailboat company and they know what their doing I just need to make sure I have their instructions correct so I will know what I am doing.

The questions I ponder are from the instructions I received in their pamphlet with their product the Sail Kit. In several reviews I have read these questions have had many opinions or interpretations. In all fairness I believe their equipment will operate properly as prescribed and they have extensively tested it.

Matt I am still looking for your replay, Thank You.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Sorry I am in mid production for sailing and kayak parts and accessory catalogs. A busy time of year!

OffRoad wrote:
1. Step 1 Tip: Should the mast be taped together with plastic or duct tape? Not that I am concerned with the aluminum shaft but the sail material.

2. Are there any plans in the works to make a mast which has a mechanical attachment to its other half and maybe a larger sail for the Adventure?

No need to tape for chafing reasons. You can tape if it makes it easier to remove the mast sections when stowing away. We are planning a change by adding internal bungee to make the two sections pop together like tent poles.

[quote="OffRoad"] 3. Step 6: “Run the mainsheet from the sail side, through the rear pad-eyeâ€

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt