Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Distances.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I urge you to reconsider the proposed trip between Shetland and Fair Isle and thence to Orkney. I sailed an AI for two years in Buzzards Bay before trading up to a TI last year. I love the boats and admire their capabilities. This thread has advice from a number of very experienced AI and TI owners who have taken their boats much further off shore than I have, and they have demonstrated how well the Hobie products do at sea.

However, I have sailed the route you are considering in a 45 foot sloop with a crew of serious sailors. We sailed from Shetland to Fair Isle, spent the night and sailed from Fair Isle to Orkney. The weather was what passes for typical summer weather in the North Sea. On the way from Shetland to Fair Isle, we only had one reef in the main and most of the jib out. The next day, we made the run to Orkney. For that run, we had two reefs in the main and no jib at all. The wind was steady at 30 knots with gusts to 45. The sea state on the first day was relatively calm - three foot seas. On the second day, we had a following wind that had built up overnight so the sea had increased substantially - to five feet or more. The first day was mostly sunny. The second day was fog under a heavy overcast. The temperature was in the 50's. We were sailing in company with a number of local folks, who assured us that the conditions were really quite nice.

The harbor on Fair Isle offers some evidence of the risks involved. It is located at the end of an almost completely land locked channel; yet, even so, the islanders pull their 50 foot motor launch up a ramp completely out of the water when the weather is bad.

The other thing that you have to deal with in that part of the world are very strong tidal currents. This is particularly true of the Orkneys, where there are currents between the islands that run 5 and 6 knots, and one infamous current that runs at 12 knots! This means that all sail or pedal trips have to be with the tide.

While an AI or TI would be relatively safe close to the islands, neither of them would be safe for the crossings that you have mentioned.

P Burling

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Twerto wrote:
Thanks for all the advise, I think i was getting a bit over excited at the thought of the adventure more than the pratical side of things.

As we all do. As is this nutjob:
http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

^^ I think if I sat in a wet AI seat for that long ny dinghy would fall off

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

Last edited by PassWind on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Key West to the Dry Tortugas? That is a serious, serious open water crossing. Kayakers have died on that trip.

Common sense got the better of us. If we ever do that trip, it'll be with a big boat and not with the TI.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos