Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone launch from Maximo ? I was looking on google earth and looks like there is a good beach there, but not sure if they will let me drive on it, or launch from it. Also looks pretty shallow in the area, but maybe not a problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tried looking it up on google maps but I could find it. Do you have a better address? I always sail of Gandy Blvd or at Ft Desoto. You could probably call Tackle Shack and ask if that place is any good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nevek wrote:
Tried looking it up on google maps but I could find it. Do you have a better address? I always sail of Gandy Blvd or at Ft Desoto. You could probably call Tackle Shack and ask if that place is any good.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=20

Forget it anyway, I just noticed those nasty little pylons.

Ft Desoto is a great place. Gandy? You talking about the causeway on the south side (Redneck Beach)?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Redneck beach is an understatement. The first time we went there we got there before everyone else and set off as usual. Upon return the place was infested of rowdy mullet wearing, buddy weiser drinking drinking trailer trash. Out on the water was nice though, sailed along side some porpoises.I also sail in Lake Thonotosassa (Also redneck infested)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are places to launch just north of the Skyway bridge. There is a park along the north approach to the bridge and it is possible to launch from either side of I275. The west side has more shallows though. I don't use Gandy Blvd much because of the crowds and also at low tide there are numerous sand bars in the bay just south of the bridge. Instead I usually use the canoe launch at Picnic Island in Port Tampa. Then there is the old standby Causeway Blvd in Dunedin, crowded but quite a few beach cats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DaveW70 wrote:
Instead I usually use the canoe launch at Picnic Island in Port Tampa.

The canoe launch?? I've launched a canoe there before, but it's nothing more than a mangrove-lined creek, no more than 6' across. Are you sure you launched a beach cat there?

Dunedin is awesome, but I'm looking for a different spot, and closer to Tampa would be a big bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

flaco wrote:
The canoe launch?? I've launched a canoe there before, but it's nothing more than a mangrove-lined creek, no more than 6' across. Are you sure you launched a beach cat there?

No. I'm not that good of a sailor. :)

There are no signs so I may be wrong about it being the canoe launch. The City of Tampa certainly does not over maintain that park. The place I am referring to is on the west side of the park. Once inside the park, the first right is the boat ramp. The second right a couple hundred yards further along is into a rather good sized gravel parking lot that faces west toward the open bay. It is just south of the dog beach. There is a narrow gravel ramp from the parking lot down to the water line. There are usually some fishermen with kayaks and maybe a jet ski or two on weekends but the crowd is usually pretty sparse. I often sail on week days and the place is almost empty then. I live in South Tampa so it is pretty handy for me.

A while back someone on this forum or thebeachcats.com mentioned using E G Simmons Park in Ruskin. I took a drive down there a couple months ago to check it out but I did not see any good places to launch a beach cat. Could be that I just missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DaveW70 wrote:
flaco wrote:

No. I'm not that good of a sailor. :)

There are no signs so I may be wrong about it being the canoe launch. The City of Tampa certainly does not over maintain that park. The place I am referring to is on the west side of the park. Once inside the park, the first right is the boat ramp. The second right a couple hundred yards further along is into a rather good sized gravel parking lot that faces west toward the open bay. It is just south of the dog beach. There is a narrow gravel ramp from the parking lot down to the water line. There are usually some fishermen with kayaks and maybe a jet ski or two on weekends but the crowd is usually pretty sparse. I often sail on week days and the place is almost empty then. I live in South Tampa so it is pretty handy for me.

A while back someone on this forum or thebeachcats.com mentioned using E G Simmons Park in Ruskin. I took a drive down there a couple months ago to check it out but I did not see any good places to launch a beach cat. Could be that I just missed it.

Care to google maps this location for the rest of us?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nevek wrote:
Care to google maps this location for the rest of us?

Sure. It is the second right once you are inside the park. The boat ramp/fishing pier is the first right.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=27.858N+82.553W&aq=&sll=27.854975,-82.550025&sspn=0.020451,0.036435&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nevek wrote:
Redneck beach is an understatement. The first time we went there we got there before everyone else and set off as usual. Upon return the place was infested of rowdy mullet wearing, buddy weiser drinking drinking trailer trash. Out on the water was nice though, sailed along side some porpoises.I also sail in Lake Thonotosassa (Also redneck infested)

Redneck Riviera:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I brought my Hobie back from the east coast so I can start enjoying it again. I was searching google maps when I found picnic island which looked pretty good. It reminded me of this thread and sure enough the spot you mentioned is the same spot I found. Im going to give it a try on Sunday, say hello if you see me....sail number 7.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update: I now keep my boat 2-3 minutes from picnic island and sail there often. Very convenient! Next place I want to try is Davis Island Yacht club.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DaveW70 wrote:
There are places to launch just north of the Skyway bridge. There is a park along the north approach to the bridge and it is possible to launch from either side of I275.

Hey DaveW70, Is this the spot you're talking about?

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=27.65 ... 8&t=h&z=18

Looks nice, and I've always wanted to sail under the Skyway.

Also, broke down and launched from Redneck Riviera on my MLK day off, and had a blast !! There were handful of kids riding 4 wheelers on the beach :roll: but no big deal. If you go, watch out for those deadly rock piles South of the beach !!!

Nevek
I'm almost positive you need to be a member, or go with a member to lauch at DI yacht club. You also need to navigate the floatsom in the basin to get to open water.

I'm gonna check out Picnic Island next. Thanks for the tip guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

flaco, yup. that's it. It's possible to launch from either side of the highway but the east side is better. There are fewer shallows and no channel traffic to deal with.

You are right that you need to be a member of DIYC to launch at the club. However, there are two public boat ramps (concrete), one on either side of the approach road just outside the club entrance. In addition, there is also a sand or dirt ramp access to sea plane basin side just past the boat ramps. You can back your trailer right to the waters edge and the shore line is pretty nice and sandy. All of this is before you enter the club and its all open to the public as far as I know. However, as you so aptly stated, there are a lot of flotsam to deal with in the sea plane basin.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=27.909784,-82.447087&hl=en&sll=27.910092,-82.447082&sspn=0.005347,0.008197&t=h&z=16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roger that..
That basin will certainly test your sailing skills, but I like that sandy beach spot.
Here's a link to a vid I did a few weeks ago launching from Gandy Beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHjUb_bNJJ0

East winds make for a nice sail from there.