Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - great video mate :D
First time I've seen you in your TI - looks very nice - in fact at times during the video I thought it came with auto pilot and auxilliary motor :lol: :lol:
We had a great trip through the Gippsland Lakes last Sunday to Tuesday - but I had a problem with my camera the first day and only have a few still shots which all look a bit ho-hum compared with the INCREDIBLY EXCITING action we had sailing across Lake Wellington on the first day:o :shock: :o :lol: :roll: :D

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video Stringy.

How long did your trip take? And is removing the Mirage Drive your usual practice when under sail?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mickey and Hammer. :)

Mickey- Shame about your camera. :( I was looking forward to your trip report. No-one else took pics?

Hammer- The 34km trip took just under 4 hours of actual sailing. We stopped for lunch at Maitland Bay (16km). We had favourable tail winds around 10-15 knots for most of the trip and reached a maximum speed of 15km/h. Most of the time we averaged around 8km/h.
The swell was around 1.5m and a bit bumpy as the NE wind flattened the previous Southerly swell.
I prefer to sail with the drives out when conditions allow and this trip the conditions were ideal for sailing unassisted. I leash the drives and store them on the tramps within easy reach.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You bloody showoff ! Look at the editing and and video / audio match. Excellent work mate. Glad you had a great trip and it is still down on my list.
We also had a great trip down the Williams River. Pace was a bit slower than yours though. 15kms in 2 days. Caught 50 Bass which was a bonus. Threw 44 back and ate the rest. Never saw another sole the whole time. Bear Griles would be proud.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Four of us completed the Sale to Lakes Entrance trip. 52.2 NM (96.6 KM) in 2.5 days. We're planning on making it an annual event.

Stringy when do you plan on repeating that trip - I'd love to do it with you.

Seems like we could do with a state, national and international event calendar for "Adventure Island trips". Guess that would entail an international events coordinator along with one for each local event.
Is it a subject worth raising a new thread for :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great Idea Mike, and thanks for volenteering. ( If it was put to the vote, we would have all voted for you anyway ). 96.6 in 2.5 days is a good effort. How was the new seat ? Will there be a trip report with a 2011 AI performance review ? I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether on not the upgrade is worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Slaughter.
Mickey -I haven't made plans yet to do it again. I'd really like to do a run down the coast and into Sydney Harbour but getting a car down there for the return is a bit more complicated.
BTW you two- more details of BOTH of your trips would be great. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The GoPro on the end of a pole certainly is the way to go as far as getting multiple angles. Well done mate. Yeah, it may be a while before I get a trip report listed. I didn't take the Hobie so I spose it wasn't counted anyway.

BTW. Next time you come up this way for a sail, we might get this bloke to tag along. Anyone you know ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/timbotto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

stringy wrote:
After all this time we managed to complete this trip! :roll:
Had a great day.
Must do it again.
Chris, Slaughter and Mickey- I highly recommend it! :wink:

I thought I might find a report on here of you guys. I "bumped" into you folk at Ettalong Beach, just east of Umina Beach on the entrance to Brisbane Water where I had just launched off the beach. Rather surreal as after three years with my AI I have never seen another on the water at the same time, and here we had a TI and 2 AIs.

Good to "meet" you guys, even if just in passing. Looks like a fun trip.

Got myself a Trax 2 set of Beach wheels this week, and I am well pleased with them. Saved me a lot of money compared to the price 3 years ago, go the Aussie $. Heard a rumour from Sailing Scene that there may be a new coating on the 2011 boats. I told them I am not buying a new AI till they get better protection on the alu. In fact I stopped being interested in spending any money, till that is solved. The outlay on the Trax 2 was only because my el cheapo homemade mod using $15 steel trolley wheels on a standard Hobie frame finally fell off.

take care,
Geoff

Last edited by Geoff on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geoff,
Good to catch up with briefly the other day. Keep an eye on out for future events posted here and join us if you can. :)
Hobie are now anodising the aluminium which should be a long overdue improvement. I have two standard sail anodised masts that are twice as old as my AI's and they have ZERO corrosion. I don't understand why it took them so long? :?
All the AI's I sail with have the corrosion problem. The later ones have it less but it still occurs around the paddle bungee and rivets despite being extra carefull with fresh water rinsing of these areas.
The Trax 2 cart is a great improvement and ideal for where you launched the other day opposite Half Tide Rocks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
BTW. Next time you come up this way for a sail, we might get this bloke to tag along. Anyone you know?

Slaughter,
Good idea! Last time I was there I was telling him of our great adventures! :wink:
You should give him a demo in yours. Maybe you'll end up with a new sailing partner. Shame about him losing his GoPro! :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I heard about that. When you were just talking about the anodised akas on the later models, is that for the 2011 model ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The anodised bars have just starting appearing on the 2011 models but not all as the first lot that were sole here have the painted bars. The new finish has to prove itself however as it is not that tough, and can easily be scratched so don't panic if yours is painted as the latest ecoatings are apparently a lot better than earlier paint jobs according to Matt....Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stringy & co,
Congratulations on achieving your long planned trip, and on your video taking and posting skills.
I would love to join you on another trip. Any chance you could pencil in some dates with your friends a month or two or three ahead, then work out the detail closer to the time? I usually need that sort of notice to get a week day off and wriggle out of other commitments. Sad but true.
By the way I saw Rob Mundle has a new book out about Captain Bligh. He did Tonga to Timor with 18 men in a boat not much longer than a TI.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be interested in having a read of that Donald. We have family records of one of my great, great, etc etc grandfathers being transported to Tasmania from Norfolk Island aboard Bligh's ship. Apparently my ancestor got 20 years at Port Arthur for slaughtering 4 sailors while they were sleeping. ( I wonder if that has anything to do with that twitch I get sometimes when we go off on AI adventures ? )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next