Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The new Igloo Maxcool I bought fits perfectly behing the seat after I removed the wheels. I have the wheels where the will slip back on to hall the catch up to camp if needed.
I have the $8 drybox attatched to the hatch and when you open the hath it swings up to this position. This box will hold my Kel-tec 9mm in its holster, my wallet, keys and cell phone nicely. Also notice the straps I made. Haven't got to try them yet.
Ok guys I'm working on figuring this out. I have more stuff coming in today to add to the kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow. what a coincidence ! I was shooting my Kel-Tec 9mm this morning !

Johnny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope you were not having to shoot a bad guy out of your kayak. Nice little gun ain't it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This may answer some questions people have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

High Speed
Low Drag
Crew Served
Gen-sou Operated
Teflon Coated
Outback Kayak
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nice Job

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very good, I love rigging/rigged photos ! I see more and more of those plastic fish lip grabber thingys... think I'll get me one of those.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking about adding one of the net pockets on each side of the kayak like the I've seen on other Hobies (I think the revo). Has anyone done this and if so was it a positive thing or are there drawbacks to doing this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can u post more pics of your anchor trolley? Im trying to install an anchor trolley on my outback without drilling any holes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That cooler looks good on that Outback. What size did you go with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a few questions:

1. What is the brand and size of the dry box. I want to put one of those in our Oasis and transfer it to one of my Fish Hawk's outriggers when I use the FH.

2. How did you mount your fish/depth finder, and where is the battery and transducer.

3. Size and model of your cooler. It looks great.

Great job re your anchor. I will do the same on my Fish Hawk. It secures the anchor and line, when not using it and yet allows quick and safe access to it.

Thanks for sharing with us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

are thier pirates in Arkansas? or do you guys do drive buys on water now? whats the deal with carrying a weapon while in a kayak? no offense...its your right, just wondering. in europe people dont own weapons and the biggest thing, they dont feel like they need to own a weapon. and as far as i can tell that keeps the violence down tremendously!

nice setup on the kayak...these boxes on the hatches are a great idea!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Love the dry box idea but I think I'd really miss the tackle tray. I use it all the time. Got to figure out another way to dry box my Kel-Tec.

Eurokayaker,
You got it backwards. It's more guns LESS crime. If you don't believe that then just look at the Australian experience. When they confiscated guns from law abiding citizens a few years back the violent crime rate went though the roof. Why ? It's easy ! Gunless citizens became easy prey ! Want another example try Switzerland where every household is required by law to own a gun. They got one of the lowest crime rates in the world !

BTW, if you kayaked in the Everglades where you see 10 foot Alligators on every trip you might think a little different.

Johnny

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe you are right Johnny..personally i do not believe more guns is the answer to less violence. in my learnings some 6% of aussies own a gun legally and that the majority of aussie violence/shootings are due to the illegal importation and distribution of firearms. or they are stolen. maybe its easier/cheaper to make a citizen feel he should own a weapon rather than have the government up thier import/police securities. Switzerland is a established militia. males are required to participate in military training at the age of 20 and given a weapon until they are 35 or so. only to be fired if under attack while in route to base during a invasion. then they are given the choice to retain that weapon or turn it back in to the military when of age. i dont think its the having a weapon there that reduces crime.

Johnny i would be thinking a hell of a lot differently if i was next to a 10 ft alligator!! your right about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The dry box is one I bought from walmart, but not in the fishing section, the camping section for about $8.
The battery and transducer are mounted in the front section. I siliconed the transducer to the hull, shoot thru style and bunge cord the battery to the sailing mast post.
The cooler is an Igloo 40 qt. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the cooler setup and have since changed it to another cooler turned sideways. It was too hard to open the lid and put the fish inside. I'll try to ge some pics of the new setup tomorrow.
As for the Kel-tec. Yes there are Pirates in Arkansas. Last year a guy I work with was fishing on the lake on night and 2 men in a boat tried to board their boat and accused him of taking fish from his trotline. He was in his boat with his son and fended him off with a paddle and got back to the boat launch and called the police who later arrested the guy. Im not offended at all just well informed and protected. I'm also sure ya'll have plenty of crime in Europe also or your police wouldn't carry machine guns through the airports like I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I struggled with the cooler thing too. I had a great LLBean cooler but I've come to the conclusion that anything with a zipper is useless. A couple of times I had a fish in one hand and could not get the damm zipper open. I now use a soft sided cooler with an instant access top. Its a cheap cooler but real easy to just pull the top up and drop the fish in. Still looking for a quality cooler with that feature.

This time of year in South Florida I see Alligators, hugh bull sharks and giant rays almost every time I go out. I'm not kean on swinging my legs sideways to get to anything behind me !

Just last week I was flying through the mangroves in my friends flats boat when an eagle ray jumped out of the water and hit me in the chest. My buddy was laughing his ass off. Scared the (censored) out of me.
Johnny