Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I've decided to install inspection ports on my 16. The main reason is to dry out my hulls (they've been sitting in the SF bay for 5 years) and the second is that I'd like some storage while I sail (I bought the Fat Cat Sacks). My question is where is the best place to install them. I think that right in front of the tramp would be a good place for both airflow when drying out the hulls and accessibility to my beer while sailing. If so how far forward from the tramp?

I do however have the bad habit of walking on the hulls to attach and detach the jib when setting up (Only when it's in the water), so I think that this might be a bad location. Would behind the tramp be a better place?

Let me know what you think.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I had my 16 I put the centers of the ports about 18" in front of the pylons. I too like to walk on my hulls, especially in light air. As long as you do not step right on the port you will be fine. If you are still really worried about it, when you cut the openings you can put a rib on the underside of the deck on each side of the opening. This will add more weight, but will sure up the deck for more peace of mind.

As for a beverage storage location, I found a 6 pack sized soft sided cooler can be fairly easily crammed into the hull through a 6" port. Just putting it out there...

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any opinions about installing a port in between the two pylons? I know installtion will be difficult, because there's only about 7" of clearance from the top of the hull to the bottom of the side bars. And it might not be the best location for use as an inspection port. But I plan to put a fat bag in it and use it primarily for storage. I thought this would be a better location for storage than out in front of the pylons, since it provides easier access while sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

papayd,

I've seen ports installed between the pylons. IF (that's a big if) I were ever to do it myself that is where I'd put them.

Now, let me say this, I personally have never installed ports on any of the sixteens I've ever had. I don't think cutting a hole in the deck can do anything but degrade the structural integrity of the boat. I read this topic reposted time after time (in different ways) and cringe at the thought of one more boat dying before its time. Need air in your hulls? Pull the drain plugs out after every sail and jack the tongue of the trailer way up in the air. Moisture in a hull for even 24 hours isn't going to seep into the fiberglass that quickly, now over the course of a Winter sure it will. A couple of soft spots here and there (in the deck) can be repaired WITHOUT installing ports. Doing a leak test and sealing up some places where water is coming in is time better spent.

Thanks for letting me vent.

There is always the cooler caddy (mounts in front of the mast) and soft sided tramp bag to store goodies in while pleasure sailing. :wink:

Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is alot of posts about ports: Why couldnt you after cutting the hole doing whatever repair b needed sealing the holes edges and the cutout edges and then putting it back togather? Im sure you wouldnt regain 100% strength but more than the port idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to the Hobie world, but the Hobie sales catalog suggests putting ports behind crossbar for inspection. Would that be a bad place to put the port?

New question: Could I put a 6 inch port in front the forward pylon? How far in front should it be? I was thinking of cutting the hole close enough so I could reach inside and lay some fiberglass around the pylon post base (stress cracking). I haven't seen another solution to the cracking problem, if anyone could help I would appriciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jonnyboy,

To reiterate my earlier post in this thread.

John Eaton wrote:
papayd,

I've seen ports installed between the pylons. IF (that's a big if) I were ever to do it myself that is where I'd put them.

Looks like Hobie is suggesting this is the best place and just makes sense to me. Thay can be accessed easier, while under way, if they're located under the tramp rails.

BTW, nice userid. :)