Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in need of a new spinnaker halyard for my Tiger and a vender asked me if I wanted it tapered. I am looking to get some pros and cons and hear what the mainstream is doing. The original halyard was a 5mm untapered line.

If a tapered halyard is recommended:

Is the tapered line desireable for passing blocks easier or does it assist the spinnaker in deploying?

Also, I have learned that some lines are tapered by stripping the outer sheath exposing the core and others are spliced with a smaller line. Is one method preferred over the other?

Best regards, Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We use a tapered Spin halyard.

Reasons:
1. Original halyard got twisted easily. (Did not like it from the start)
2. Easier on the hands of your crew. (Biggest advantage)
3 Slightly less windage hanging out in space in front of boat. (not big advantage since it is fat at the mast)
4. Splice is a great mark to see when the Spinnaker is up. (pretty nice)

We use a Vectron 1/8" attached to the head of the sail spliced to 1/4" Conception for the handling.

You can get APS to make this up for you.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greg,

Dan's Tiger is completely delux and I would suggest getting the halyard he recommended. If ever I get close enough to see them on the race coarse, their transitions (spinnaker sets and take downs) are always smooth and fast.

I see that you're in San Diego. If you're interested there's a race this weekend April 1st & 2nd in Fiddlers Cove, South San Diego Bay. It looks like there's going to be a good turnout of Tigers too - here's a link to the race info and list of participants on the Division2 forum. http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3199
Hope to see you there...

-Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan,

Thanks for the response and the willingness to share your experience! I noticed your post under "tiger spinaker sheet and retriver line length" after I posted myself. I have enjoyed reading this and many of your other post in this forum. I too am transitioning to a pole snuffer and am best at visual learning. Do you plan on making it to San Diego for the regatta at Fiddlers Cove? If not, do you have any pictures you are willing to share?

Dennis,

Thanks for your input also. I am going to try to make the event in San Diego. If you are planning on attending, maybe I'll have an opportunity to introduce myself.

Best Regards, Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Greg:

Thank you for the compliments.

Sorry to say that I will not make it to the Coronado Spring Regatta April 1 and 2. I am in charge of a regatta run out of my yacht club that weekend. I will be sorry to miss this as there are likely to be 14 or more boats on the line.

Regarding transitioning to a pole snuffer system. I am kind of sketchy on what you meant. There is a midpole system and an endpole system. Are you saying that you have a trampline set system right now?

I run an endpole snuffer that was inspired by the I-20 system. Most use the stock Hobie or the Guck system. Difference is that the endpole does not require a tack line.

Right now I am making a slight redesign of my snuffer to allow easier installation. The reason is that I am going to the Worlds in France and Spain and would like to be able to use it there, but it has to be easier to install.

I have helped set up both types and could give you any advice you need for the system that you are considering.

Later,
Dan