Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ram Rail Mount
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those who have their fish finders mounted to the rail, what hardware do you use? I'd appreciate it if you could give me brands and part numbers (or model). I tried the Scotty with a slight modification to adjust for the size difference with a rod holder, but I haven't been happy with it. I think Ram may be better. I will be mounting a Humminbird 365i. Any pics would be appreciated as well. I've googled and searched through the forum, to avoid repeating old topics. I couldn't find the details I'm looking for, but apologize if this topic has been beaten to the ground already.

Post subject: Re: Ram Rail Mount
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are also a few video tutorials in YouTube on how to fit fishfinders and GPS etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nmagana wrote:
For those who have their fish finders mounted to the rail, what hardware do you use? I'd appreciate it if you could give me brands and part numbers (or model). I tried the Scotty with a slight modification to adjust for the size difference with a rod holder, but I haven't been happy with it. I think Ram may be better. I will be mounting a Humminbird 365i. Any pics would be appreciated as well. I've googled and searched through the forum, to avoid repeating old topics. I couldn't find the details I'm looking for, but apologize if this topic has been beaten to the ground already.

I went with Hobie for the correct sized rail mount. You can find the part by downloading their online catalog. The mount is called a "U-Bolt Rail Base w/ 1" Ball". Part #72023017. I then bought a RAM mount to fit the 1" ball and my Eagle Fish Finder base. For information on what type of RAM mount to buy to match your setup, you should probably call an authorized RAM mount distributor, or possibly Hobie might be able to tell you which mount would work...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Yakfish. Are you happy with the setup? I wasn't happy at all with my Scotty attempt, so I'm switching to Ram.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nmagana wrote:
Thanks, Yakfish. Are you happy with the setup? I wasn't happy at all with my Scotty attempt, so I'm switching to Ram.

Yes...I am very satisfied with my setup. The adjustability allowed me to position my Fish Finder to a position that fit me perfectly. Out of my way, yet within reach of the buttons without having to move or worry about entanglement from my fishing gear. I use a combination of both RAM and SCOTTY depending on my needs. I used SCOTTY for my light pole & Anchor Mount, and RAM for my rod holders & Fish Finder. Both are good. Just decide first what application you need a mouting setup for, then search both brands for which best serves your application.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Larger stainless U bolt from Home depot , 2 for $3.50 you will have to take a drill and ream the holes in the base about 1/16" to accommodate the slightly wider spread.

Hummingbird 997 Side Imager is pretty heavy, but the mount has held on for over two years on 3 PA's

I also use one on front handrail but have to cut a shallow 1/4" groove in the hand rail to fit same size U bolt and the groove also holds mount from spinning.

The Ram lets me twist the transducer up for transport. the orange tape is to remind me to do so.

I used them also for control head for torquedo as well as cameras and lights.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Carver I like where you put the transducer. I think that is a great place for it. Let's you see the fish before they are completely behind you. Plus you get a good temp reading.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It works (for me) a lot better than the rear mount. I fish a lot of brush piles and keeping my bow on top is pretty easy like this.
I will make a new mount and 4-6" longer pipe soon. I went out in large waves a few times recently and spent all day with my transducer way up in the air drawing dotted lines. I really need it to be at least 6" below the hull line instead of dead flush with it. I did not have this problem when it was mounted on the rear of the boat. The rear is more stable than the bow the way I load it down and a flush mount was ideal to keep from running into shallow stumps etc.
I am going to design a mount that allows me to rotate it up and down from the cockpit. I forget not to beach it bow first on the boat ramp on a regular basis and it scares me every time I bottom it out. No harm so far but I am getting tired of feeling stupid when I hear that crunching noise. Now I can just feel stupid when I for get to rotate it up. I need to make a "landing" check list like a pilot.