Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking to tent camp this summer at Kiptopeke State Park, near the northern entrance to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Bringing our Hobie Getaway down for some sailing too. Anyone have any experiences or recommendations sailing the Southern Cheasapeake Bay or the eastern tip of Delmarva/Smith Island area?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That area is awesome for thin water boating! We went there last year and it's simply some of the best of the Chesapeake region.

Here are our posts, pix and vids from that trip:
http://boneinitsteeth.blogspot.com/2010 ... -earl.html
http://boneinitsteeth.blogspot.com/2010 ... eaven.html

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a follow-up since I was hustling out the door for work yesterday when I originally posted.

Kiptopeke has protected waters. It doesn't look that way from an elevated view of the area, but there are nine WWII concrete McCloskey ships that were grounded to form a breakwater; they're called the Kiptopeke Navy. The Park has excellent beaches on both the north and south side of the launch ramps, as well as the anchorage inside of the concrete ships.

The western side of the Eastern Shore in that area doesn't have a lot to explore, but once you go down toward the south and round the point into the Smith Island area the sailing and gunkholing opportunities become fantastic. Many of the waters there behind the barrier islands are quite shallow and very protected from the Atlantic surf, so the sailing can be fast and furious. Lots to explore and look at - we plan to go back for a more thorough expedition ourselves. Two things to keep in mind as a cautionary note: a) the tidal currents in that whole area can be unexpectedly strong at peak flow, and b) the Atlantic surf can pound a boat to bits on the shoals between the protected waters and the ocean. We got caught by the current twice and both times the slog back to where we wanted to be was several hours longer than we anticipated.

We didn't stay at the Kiptopeke campground, so I can't cover the facilities there. If you require a caffeine jolt in the morning, go to Cape Charles Coffee House - the prices are a bit high for the non-coffee items, but the expresso selections are excellent. The best local eatery, Sting-Rays Restaurant, is further down the road, half-way between Cape Charles and Kiptopeke State Park on Route 13; their prices are outstanding, the portions are large, the service is fast and the food is an excellent example of Eastern Shore regional fare - nothing fancy - and we also stopped there everyday for breakfast and non-expresso coffee. For much fancier dining with a spectacular view (business casual or upper-end resort wear required), I would recommend Aqua in the Bay Creek Resort at the north end of Cape Charles; pricey, but the food is worth it.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll definitely have to check out the lower Chesapeake Bay one of these days. Only place I've been anywhere near there is Assateague Island...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We took our old Outback and Sport on a camping trip to Assateague Island in 2009, and they worked great. We hope to take the TI there at some point, as it would extend our range by an enormous amount.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bobcat,

I have stayed at Kiptopeke both camping and once I sailed my Newport 16 from Virginia Beach. There is a anchorage area. The Newport has shallow draft. So I could go ashore. I have also trailered my kayaks and launched at the ramp. There is some good fishing around the cement boats. For several years I would take my son and his friends camping there. Lots of fun...

Are you going to sail there or drive and camp??? Recommend reserving campground early. I tent camp. Best sites are at the north end, tent camping area. Close to the beach...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Paul. My wife and I plan to trailer the Getaway from southeastern Pa to Kiptopeke and tent camp mid Sept. The crowds are gone and the water is still warm. I wish there would be a way to leave the boat (with mast up) in the water for the entire week- pain lowering and raising the heavy mast.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mitch. Thanks for your pictures and recommendations. Really looking forward to a nice relaxing sailing/camping vacation in Sept.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

BobCat,

If you can pull your boat on to the beach then you can. When I brought my kayaks I would leave them at the north end beach walk past the swim area. The beach access is limitted so no one ever messed with the boats. The North walk is the closest to the tent camp area. In September you still get the local crowd camping. I have gone there as late as October.

The coastline can be a little boring with some high sand bluffs. If you walk the beach north do not get caught by high tide. The water comes up to the bulkheads. You can sail up to town of Cape Charles or down around Fisherman's Island to the barrier islands by the light house. Nice shells out there. Don't get caught in the breakers. The other passage is up the innercoastal waterway. Check the bridge clearance. The current can be strong, but it does run both ways.

I have towed my sailboat a few miles to Oyster and used that ramp. Nice straight shot to the barrier islands. See my report:
http://luckydog-newport16.blogspot.com/2009/11/sailing-on-eastern-shore.html

Have fun...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/