Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm located in MD and am looking for a used hobbie wave. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have one for sale.

Thanks,
Bronwyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may want to call backyard boats in annapolis. They are the local dealer and sometimes have used boats.

check them out here:
http://www.backyardboats.com

If you have any more questions, please contact me as I am only about 1/2 an hour from you and would be glad help.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tryed Backyard boats. All they have is a sales model and they don't want to discount it. I might as well buy a full price new boat. I'm looking for something a little more affordable. After all, its my first boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look for a used H16. I actually know of one that is very cheap. I'm not sure if it has a trailer or not, but the guy who has it said it is mine if I want it. I took a look at the boat and it requires some work, but nothing that isn't easy to fix up. If you are interested, send me an email so I can let him know.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am only 5'3" and am concerned that I would be unable to set up the sail of any Hobbie larger than a Wave. That's what the people that I've talked to have said. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think you will have a problem. My crew/fiancee is only 5'2 (at least she says she's that tall) and helps me set up my H18 all the time. You don't need very much height to pull on a halyard. If you absolutely need help, there are very cheap mechanisms you can use to raise the mast. The H16 is an incredibly easy boat to set up and sail. Plus, there are used ones all over the place and it is very easy to get parts and find people who know about them.

If you have some more questions and want to talk, email me using the link at the botom of this message and I will send you my phone number. It will be easier to discuss your questiosn via the phone than email.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I currently sail a Hunter 146, but after sailing a wave on vacation in the Turks, I will not go back to a mono. I have a wife and 2 small girls (3yr and 10mo) Looking at the wave and Getaway. I do like the boomless sail as a saftey feature and the BOB on top of the mast (i have this on my hunter) I do sail solo mostly...there is a an older Hobie 17 in my area for sail, but it has a boom and no mast float...wondering what is easier to right if flippped and sailing chararistcs between an older 17 and the wave/getaway....i am leaning towards the getawayas it has the forward tramp which might be fun for the kids...I will leave the boat rigged and on the beach, so i only have to rig once a year (springtime)

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The H17 and Getaway are VERY different boats. The H17 is a solo racer and is not meant for any more than 2 people. This is of course depending on the weight as the H17 hulls are not designed for 2 large or more than 2 people.

The Getaway is designed to take 4 adults and thier stuff very easily. The hulls are much more buoyant.

The H17 will be faster, but the Getaway more comfortable.

You can always add a mast float the the H17 and I believe you can remove the boom too.

The plastic hulls of the getaway are very easy to maintain and handle beach wear very well. The fiberglass hulls of the H17 do wear, but are relatively easy to repair.

If you want more information about the sailing qualities of each, feel free to email me at

hobienick at hotmail dot com

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: H17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 17 is a good boat and can be found use for good price. You can sail it without a boom if the sail has a small boltrope on it. I have a boomlet for sale if you need one. You can sail and race it alone or I take three adult and grand daughter out on mine all the time and it moves fine. If you are concerned about righting, get some shrouds extenders are a righting bag. The 17 has real good Portsmouth numbers if there aren't enough around to make class. Send me a email link and I will send you a photo of mine. I can also tell you how to make homemade beach wheels for around $125.

Doug Snell
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a thought about the H17 and the Getaway. I had both for awhile. The H17 is lighter and faster but has issues with the amount of weight it can carry. It is a great one man boat. According to Hobie, it's maximum carrying load is 400lbs. When you put 2 or 3 people on it - it becomes a much different boat than when you're on it all by yourself.

On the other hand, the Getaway is rated at carrying a load of 1000lbs. It is heavier, more bouyant and much more stable than the H17. It is designed to carry a lot of people, be set up and sailed easily and be very durable.

I sail off the beach and give lots of rides to friends and strangers. Once I started sailing the Getaway, I rarely took the H17 out. The Getaway lets me carry four adults or easily sail solo. It just does a lot of things very well. It's a well designed, easy to sail, simple to maintain boat.

Don't get me wrong, if you are going to sail solo, or with one other person most of the time, the 17 is a fun boat and a faster boat. But for me, speed wasn't the only issue, that's why I sold my 17 last year.

Just my thoughts -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks all...a local dealer has a '01 getaway with trailer/box, wings and traps for $6300 (seems a bit high for an '01) the 17' is $2100 with trailer...

Post subject: H17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What year is the H17. I have really like mine. And the wings are nice. FAST boat in 15 and up. I can fly passed 16's. Never been on a Getaway.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 4 month old 2005 Getaway last year. I paid $6,000 for the boat without wings. It did have a Cheata motor mount and a brand new 2hp Honda outboard, a boat cover and lots of misc gear. Really like the boat. The money you are looking at seems a little high for a 2001.