Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, after 5-6 times of putting the TI up on the racks in the truck I decided there must be a better way. Here is what I came up with. I haven't tried it moving down the road yet, just sitting in the driveway. Anything I should change/add?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks good..maybe a gussett on that rear vertical support where it meets the long horizontal bar depending on how far you drive. Turns, bumps, etc can really stress a joint.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another great use for the Hobie HD scupper cart! I would extend those wheels downward 2 feet and add some nice rims. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recommend removing the cart (wheel) from the kayak when transporting, lessening the stress on the hull.

Since it is also low, It'll be easier to turn it over and transport it upside down (ensure you add padding on the bars). Transporting the IT upside down will prevent any deformation on the hull itself.

Hobie recommends their kayak to be transported (& stored) upside down as it is far stronger on that side.

My 2c worth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie recommends storing & tranporting upside down. But, I've stored my 2 AIs on their rail (side) for 2-4 yrs without problem. Also, you can tranport (& store) these boats right-side up, IF you support the stern. Just a brace or strap keeping the stern from sagging down is sufficient. If you do not support the stern, then, you will get deformation of the bottom of the hull.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Chekika,
I just got a TI a month ago and plan on storing it right side up on the Trailex trailer right side up with a fitted cover over the summer. I am in Northwest florida where it gets pretty hot with sun beating down on everything. I read your post about the stern support. Do you have any suggestions on the support for the stern while on the trailer.

By the way, nice set-up on the truck Keith. It is hard to believe the TI is that long when compared to your truck and apologize for getting off topic a little with my question.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well crud, there goes my two for one dragstrip wheeliebar modification idea... :D
The stern sits on a set of Mako saddles right now. What else should I do to support it? That is question one. Question two is how long would it have to sit to see any deformation?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I found the TI to be the only boat that wouldn't take saddles without denting the hull. They don't have enough surface area for the weight. Why not mount TI cradles directly on your bed extender and box bed (removable)?

If you notice the back corner of your extender hitting the ground on dips and bumps, you can angle it up with a little cutting and welding (shown here). 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
Hobie recommends storing & tranporting upside down. But, I've stored my 2 AIs on their rail (side) for 2-4 yrs without problem. Also, you can tranport (& store) these boats right-side up, IF you support the stern. Just a brace or strap keeping the stern from sagging down is sufficient. If you do not support the stern, then, you will get deformation of the bottom of the hull.

Keith

I thought I saw a post that the TI can be stored on a Hobie trailer with the Hobie cradles set to 67" indefinately (if memory serves). I didnt see reference to stern support mentioned in this scenario, I realize that there is possibly bow support if the boat is snugged up into the forward bumper. Does the Hobie trailer offer stern support? Do you feel that stern support can be optional if one uses the TI cradles as the support at the recommended spacing?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My remarks were with regard to the AI hull being stored on saddles/crossbars. I have no experience w/ Hobie cradles.

pinoyghost18--I think you would need to be very careful about storing the TI rightside up over the summer in Florida. I think an extension off the end of your trailor, like RR's extension of his truck bed, to support the stern would be necessary.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Chekika for the information. I will have to look at some ideas for acheiving support for the stern.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like what I see but there is a great after market rack that retails for less than $140. It is called the extend a truck. Check out the link below. Fits into a standard 2" reciever.

http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/index. ... ctID=11680

Use a malone foam block on the cross member and the boats will be fine. Even with the weight of a TI. Don't forget to put a red flag on the tail.

www.LiquidSurfandSail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:32 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Liquid Surf_FWB wrote:
I like what I see but there is a great after market rack that retails for less than $140.
Bobby, in case you haven't been paying attention, all the pictures in this thread already display versions of same aftermarket product that you are advertising here. I'm not sure why someone would want to pay $130 from your store when they can get one at Harbor Freight with the same 500 lb. capacity for less than $40.

In my opinion, many of the Hobie dealers or their employees are valued contributors to the forums without resorting to hawking their products and services. I would suggest these forums are not intended as a solicitation platform by vendors. If they were, no doubt, Hobie would be selling advertising space.

On the other hand, your foam block suggestion is a great possible alternative. Likewise, your previous heads up that some dealers offer free tune-ups, is great information and excellent PR for those dealers who do this. Any interested reader would probably waste no time calling his/her local dealership to see if they offer this excellent service. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RR, Keith's bars appear home made, and I see what looks like a welder in his garage. So maybe Bobby was paying attention.

I totally agree with your feelings about being marketed to. But he is a Hobie dealer, which gives him some rights and credibility on the forum.

I won't mind hearing advice from truly knowledgeable dealers, so long as they post primarily for our benefit, and not their own.

I believe that "line in the sand" is a little clearer now though, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:55 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Good points and well said. 8)