Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayaking At Night
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking about operating with just an all round light, does another boat have any idea that it's a kayak. As far as I know there are no light configuration to indicate kayak. I was thinking the allround light with a green chemical stick hanging just below it. Any thoughts ?

Post subject: Re: Kayaking At Night
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Squidder - The more imporant part of your question deals with safety rather than with regulations. I think that a simple white light on a short pole probably meets regulations, but I would't feel safe in any boat traffic with that alone. The Scotty Sea Light I have is USCG approved and supposedly visible for 2 miles, but from the deck perspective it looks pretty dim to me and probably requires a very dark environment to be seen well. I suspect that it is easily lost with marina or harbor lights in the background. So at night I also use a bright white LED headlamp which is much brighter and also useful for hands-on work. I think the headlamp is also a better indicator of a kayaker than a green glow-stick because it is brighter and shows your head movement to the other boaters. I keep several waterproof Dot-It lights in my PA which, mounted under the accessory boards, are great for illuminating things in the cockpit but would just shine straight up if mounted on the deck. Very bright, though, and could easily be handheld and pointed at oncoming boat traffic in a pinch. I have seen portable red/green running lights advertised but have no experience with these (see links below).
Good luck.
Jim

Scotty Sea Light: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/488 ... Light.html

Headlamp: http://www.amazon.com/Flood-Light-Head- ... rid_pt_0_2

Dot it lights: http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-DOT-LED- ... 636&sr=1-2

Running lights: http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Signal-Porta ... 645&sr=8-3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My understanding is you aren't supposed to put running lights on a man powered boat, but check with your regulations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

IMHO...especially with power boats and jet skis flying around, would never go out early morning, early evening or night without navigational lights. Just good common sense to me.

I tried the cheap versions of lights...lets just say, you get what you pay for.

Just recently purchased a product called the Navi Light Red/Green for the bow. Have not used it yet on the water...but the lights a pretty bright. It also has a white light mode. Will try and take picts and post soon.

They also sell a 360 degree white light for the stern...might purchase this one too.

Check out the You Tube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/navisafe#p/a/u/1/vvfjlyEHgY4
http://www.youtube.com/user/navisafe#p/a/u/3/vTxR8oLoSf8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had a long, thought out discussion a couple of years ago on a forum and came to the conclusion, if a kayak has running lights, most boat traffic will consider them a larger powerboat, farther away (lights closer together and closer to the water). This actually puts the kayak in more danger, as you are closer, and they may expect you to be able to quickly get out of their way.

A single white light shows you are stationary (or moving slowly) which fits us more closely.

Additional white lighting to shine at them or to work by is always helpful though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have an AI, and occasionally I'll go out in the evening and not quite make it back to shore while the sun is still bright. The law requires that I carry a white light, and it could be as simple as a flashlight. That's not enough.

The AI has the nice advantage of having the sail, so when it gets dark, I mount a couple of water proof bike lights and aim them up at the sail. It's impossible to not see me when I do that. I also wear a super reflective, ugly as sin, bright greeny yellow and reflective striped shirt over my lifejacket. If anyone has any kind of light, I'll reflect back at them. Finally, I keep a very bright flashlight with me, not for me to see, but for me to be able to shine or flash at other boaters if I don't think they see me, it's also useful to shine this light at your kayak, especially if the boat is a brighter colour.

To me, it's about having options. If I'm just kayaking, I can't light up the sail, but I can take the reflective shirt, and the flashlight to shine at other boaters, in addition to the light required by law. I always find that it's helpful to light your own boat up, not simply to stick a light on a pole. If they can see your boat, they'll miss you. If they can only see a light, it's tough to discern how close or far away that light is.

That's just my two cents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One other thing that I forgot to mention...the use of reflective tape also makes you stand out when the sun or artificial light hits you. It it also helpful when trailering the yak in the dark. ; )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Being a regular cyclist my preference would definitely be a white flashing LED headlamp that are inexpensive at bike shops and cannot fail to be seen from reasonable distances. Whilst the flashing makes it stand out from the background, it is also a useful light...Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're local authorities will probably frown on the flashing light idea. Might even give you a paper souvenir to remember them by.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
You're local authorities will probably frown on the flashing light idea. Might even give you a paper souvenir to remember them by.

Well better a ticket than a coffin Bob, and having come from that persuasion I have the distinct feeling that common sense would win over revenue raising. These lights strobe, so it is not it would be confused for a lighthouse or flashing beacon....Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The flashing strobes on water usually indicate distress and needing assistance, not a good idea to use the flashing light unless you really do need assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Possibly redwolf but I am confident everyone could tell the difference between a flashing light and a LED strobe. Again IMHO better to be seen and avoided by other craft at night than invisible and in danger of being run down....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My understanding for distress signals that you can be charged for, when using them under a different circumstances. The White strobe light flashing at 60 flashes a minute is not one of them.

Quote:
International Collision Regulations‎ > ‎Part D - Sound And Light Signals‎ > ‎
Rule 37 - Distress signals
When a vessel is in distress and requires assistance she shall use or exhibit the signals described in Annex IV to these Regulations.

ANNEX 4 - Distress Signals

1. The following signals, used or exhibited either together or separately, indicate distress and need of assistance:

(a) a gun or other explosive signal fired at intervals of about a minute;

(b) a continuous sounding with any fog‑signalling apparatus;

(c) rockets or shells, throwing red stars fired one at a time at short intervals;

(d) a signal made by any signalling method consisting of the group · · · - - - · · · (SOS) in the Morse Code;

(e) a signal sent by radiotelephony consisting of the spoken word "MAYDAY";

(f) the International Code Signal of distress indicated by N.C.;

(g) a signal consisting of a square flag having above or below it a ball or anything resembling a ball;

(h) flames on the vessel (as from a burning tar barrel, oil barrel, etc.);

(i) a rocket parachute flare or a hand flare showing a red light;

(j) a smoke signal giving off orange-coloured smoke;

(k) slowly and repeatedly raising and lowering arms outstretched to each side;

(l) a distress alert by means of digital selective calling (DSC) transmitted on:

(i) VHF channel 70; or

(ii) MF/HF on the frequencies 2187.5 kHZ, 8414.5 kHZ, 4207.5 kHZ, 6312 kHZ, 12577kHZ or 16804.5 kHZ

(m) a ship-to-shore distress alert transmitted by the ship’s Inmarsat or other mobile satellite service provider ship earth station;

(n) signals transmitted by emergency position‑indicating radio beacons;

(o) approved signals transmitted by radio communication systems, including survival craft radar transponders.

2. The use or exhibition of any of the foregoing signals, except for the purpose of indicating distress and need of assistance and the use of other signals which may be confused with any of the above signals, is prohibited.

3. Attention is drawn to the relevant sections of the International Code of Signals, the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual, Volume III and the following signals:

(a) a piece of orange‑coloured canvas with either a black square and circle or other appropriate symbol (for identification from the air);

(b) a dye marker.

A white strobe or flashing light is more so recognised as a signal for man overboard.

With so many new people kayaking and going out at night with just the legally required torch/flashlight. Good on you for making yourself seen at least.

With that said, it is a warning signal and I think a fixed white light would be more suitable (even if I did have a white strobe on top of my mast :wink: ).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:wink: :wink: Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

joeyb wrote:
One other thing that I forgot to mention...the use of reflective tape also makes you stand out when the sun or artificial light hits you. It it also helpful when trailering the yak in the dark. ; )

Joe Nice job on the tape, where did you get it? How does it hold up once it gets wet? Thanks