Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOBIE 18 WINGS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HI, Does anybody have any Detailed PHOTOS that they can Email me of the hobie 18 magnum & SX wings, I have no chance of buying any from were i live, they just dont exist hear. I am hopeing to build myself a set , and Detailed photos of the whole set up would make it a lot easier. CHEERS PEPSI :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a set of Magnum wings but they are not installed on the boat. The wings attach to studs mounted on the crossbar tramp track and lower onto the endcaps where a plate is bolted in and a pin connects them. The SX had an additinal fitting that mounts to the deck for the support leg. The mounts on the crossbars allow the wing to pivot up when the pins in the legs are removed. So you will need to fabricated stainless brackets for the crossbar studs to mount and the slug the bolt tightens into, brackets for the endcaps to attach the legs. There are special endcaps on the wing legs that reduce the 2 1/2" tubing down to an attachment point that can swivel. And then you would need tramps for your platform.

I can and will take pics of the wings for you if you wish. Remember that when aluminum is bent and or welded it must be heat-treated and or annealed. The wings are aircraft grade aluminum, 7000 series I believe. And the frames must be cleared or anodized.

ITS NOT WORTH IT TO TRY AND BUILD A SET OF WINGS! BUY A SET USED OR NEW!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

THANKS for that and for pictures when you install your wings. i am in AUSTRALIA and there were only 3 sets sold here, and that was the whole of Australia,,so you can see my problem, basically there is no second hand ones, so i must build them if i want them, with the help of some good photos , i can do the rest. all help is appreciated. AND IN AUSTRALIA THERE IS NO WAY OF BUYING NEW ONES,HOBIE JUST DOES NOT MAKE THEM ANYMORE.. CHEERS PEPSI :mrgreen: :mrgreen: PS, BUILD THEM AND THEY WILL COME

Post subject: Re: HOBIE 18 WINGS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello - first post.

I am also interested in building my own wings for my old Hobie 18. I would be extremely grateful if you could show me how you went with building your own wings pepsi, and would be interested in the photos that you took ncmbm.

I understand that the hobie 18 doesn't have mounts for the wings - so that I would have to build some custom additions. I am still extremely keen, as my boat mainly gets used with a few extra passengers.

I am also in Australia - and also don't have the option of buying them new or second hand.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi toomanyprojects you can get the wings in Aust but have to be lucky to find a boat with them like i did(magnum wings).
I am only aware of 2 sets in use at this time in Aust. My magnum wings & the last set of SX that the factory had that were purchased by Dave in QLD who later sold his boat with them.

Saying that, there is another H18 forum but cant for the life of me remember the web address (that has an Aust page) if you can find your way there ask there a re a lot more 18's coming out from under covers theredays so never know what may turn up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a set of Magnum wings in Melbourne but I am still using them for family sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

If I were to try and build a set of "wings" .... I would look at the "SX" style to build. If you study the two different styles, you'll notice that while they serve the same purpose they are two different production methods. The "Magnum" wings are bent and alum welded so that they are all one piece .... they also have a slight cant to them fore-aft ... I would bet that they where built using a "jig"/bending fixture .... and you'll need someone who is a tube bending artisan.

The "SX" wings are basically a long oval hoop that is attached to (2) curved arms that have a support strut welded to them .... much easier to fabricate ....

I would check w/ Hobie for the (4) alum castings that fit into the tubing ends as I just purchased replacements since the holes in mine have worn slightly to an enlarged size after +20yrs .... note: both styles use the same casting for the tube ends where the "pivot pt" is at the end of the large curved arm. They may also have replacements for the castings on the "SX" wings that attach the oval hoop to the curvered arms. If you can get those castings making a set of "SX" wings would be fairly straight forward ..... if you have someone who can bend aluminum tubing .......

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If your still interested in making your own wings I've taken some time and photographed my H18 Magnum wings. I've posted the photos to PhotoBucket dot com in an album: http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z87/ragnar_danneskjold/Hobie%2018%20Magnum%20Wings/.

I've also taken some crude measurements on the Magnum wings and created a drawing that I can email you if your interested (PDF format).

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this is an old post originally, but I'm also interested in building some wings. Unfortunately, it seems like a pretty difficult/costly prospect. The main problem I've run into is that the aluminum you need generally comes in a T6 temper which is not bendable. As a result, you'd have to have it annealed, then bent, and then retempered for strength. For a one-off set of wings, this is impractically expensive and time consuming. I have found some annealed tubing in short lengths, but for some reason its much more expensive than the T6. For SX wings, you'd also need to fabricate / buy castings to attach the legs to the oval.

If you were willing to diverge from the original Hobie Cat design, you could create an all welded square wing for pretty cheap. The main issue would be to figure out some safe way to deal with the sharp corners. The other issue would be to find trampolines. Magnum wing owners have to rely on 3rd party tramp manufacturers anyway, so maybe if someone created a good, safe alternative wing design that enough people were interested in, some wing tramp manufacturer might make a few.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi This Marty. I just bought an old Hobie 18 that I am rebuilding. One of the things on my list is to make a set of wings. I own a machine shop and can make all the fittings required. Most things for boats like T-tops are made from alumunum pipe. schedulel 10 or schedulel 40. I the case of wings, if they are made of 2 inch pipe schedulel 10, 2.375 OD with a .106 wall they will weight about 20 lbs each. If I can get about 6-10 people who want a set, the price to make them should be reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marty,

If you do make new wings ... I would recommend that you also do not leave out the (1") reinforcing strut/tube that was added to the later production "Magnum" style wings that goes between the 2" curved tube and the straight 1"(?) tube that goes down and attaches to the end of the crossbar. It attaches at a 90* angle to the (1") support downtube approximently 3-4" up from the and ... is a straight piece of tubing .... and is welded to the curved 2" tube were they meet.

I know of several cases of the early manufactured Magnum Wings were w/o that cross support the straight 1" tube has bent ====> then the wing collapses down. I know of no Magnum Wing that w/ the cross brace has collapsed (doesn't mean it can't/hasn't happened thro ...) I do not think that they fabricated the "SX" Wings w/ a cross brace ... and some of them have failed/collapsed also when under max loading .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marty,

I have been doing research into fabricating a set myself. As I mentioned, the original wings are built out of 2" OD tubing which is probably pretty important if you want to use Hobie castings. If you figure out a way to just the feet to the ring, then you can probably get by with the 1.9 ish OD pipe.

I am/was considering using 6063 for the oval and 6061 for the legs, and probably splurging for the Hobie castings. If i can build a set that I think is sturdy for $1000 a pair (sans tramps), then I will pull the trigger. If you think you can build a reliable set that will fit a standard trampoline, I might be interested in going that route instead.

My guess is that if you do find a few takers, everyone will probably have to get the seat welded themselves. Shipping a box that will fit the seat is too big for common carrier and has been quoted to me as about $400. Perhaps someone knows an alternative. Otherwise, I'd just assume to buy a good condition used set, but I have no way of getting it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI ALL,
i have posted a new topic on the wing issue. im building my own wings and would like to know what model should i go for - SX or MAGNUM ??
also, after careful photo examination, i noticed that some magnum models have upgraded w/ additional support bars. since i could not find decend quality photos of SX model, i cannot figure out all the upgrades of the SX model. but it seems to me that more SX wings had structural problems than MAGNUM models. i do not have experience with aluminum crafting, but i know a good local company who have knowledge and equipment to build it given the right measures and structural design.
how difficult is the process of having to anneale the aluminium pipe, bent, and then retemper it back again?
i guess it is costly as well?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was just looking on YouTube yesterday at videos and the was a video from Europe of a (big) guy single-handedly sailing a H18Formular .... it had a set of SX Wings and they had the additional cross brace support .... I could see it clearly as the video camera was mounted on the spin pole. So at some point in time they must have made SX Wings w/ the cross brace .... I've just never seen a set here in the USA .... (the video was titled "H18 Formular")

I stumbled across it when I was searching for the video of the big Tri's/Cat's/Windsurfers at a "Speed Week" somewhere in France ... you may have seen it ... it opens w/ a windsurfer going like stink, just scooting along (from left to right) .... and then in the lower left a "pole" appears .... and you realize it's a spin-pole ... and it's attached to a big 60'+ Tri .... and she is running down the board sailor, the big girl is MOVING!!!!! (I wish I could find it again as it always brings a smile to my face ...)

It's a beautiful warm spring day here today, so I feel the urge to go out in the backyard ... tinker w/ my boats ... and to get a "Sunkist" and listen to some "Beach Boys" .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cannot comment on the fact that there are more SX structural failures than Magnum, but I will say this. The SX wings are very long and I think lots of people tend to overload them. It looks like you could put 6 people on them or more, but really should probably never put over 2. Additionally, I understand there have been several modifications to SX wings over the years. One is the rear strut that is designed to stabilize fore-aft movement and the other is a beam that is hammered into straight part of the leg. I recently broke a previously repaired set presumably from a '90 SX and they did not appear to have this beam. I've also seen some where people have welded additional beams from the oval to the leg as it appears the leg is what most often breaks.

To have the annealing and heat treating done properly is expensive. You can anneal at home to make the bend, but it will be weaker around that point until it is heat treated. Also, any time you weld the aluminum, you will anneal it around the weld as well. The problem with heat treating is getting the whole wing seat re-annealed after its welded. Many heat-treaters don't have the capacity for an item of this size, and those that do specialize in airplanes - $$$. Maybe it is not critical to heat treat the oval. One would need to do stress calculations to see exactly what force is put at the points where the two candy-cane shaped pieces of the oval are welded together and compare that to the strength of annealed aluminum. I was considering bending 6063 which would not be as strong as 6061-T6, but still better than 6061 with a bunch of annealing done to make it bend. The guy at the shop I talked to thought he could probably bend the legs out of 6061 without annealing. I'll let you know how that goes.