Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Forgot to metion I got a tarp from Atomic Tarp coming. Next week its on like Donkey Kong!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well guess what. I have got her done and she is ready for the water!!! :D :D :D :D :D I recieved my tramp from Atomic Tarps and put it on last night and it is sexy! Cant wait!

I will get some shots of her out on the water and maybe a vid up on youtube.

Here is the tramp:

Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Really nice job on that 16 man - major kudos :)

I will have some spare hulls next week and am seriously now considering a restoration like yours since I will be able to sail the spare hulls whilst I take my time on the restore. One question is how you were able to get the gel sprayed for $200? did you basically provide the boat perfectly prepped and also supply the gelcoat?

Maybe I missed something but that seems really cheap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pretty work! That's what's up. Not trying to hijack this guy's awesome post, but drummer how are you coming along with your boat?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your cat does look awesome! Love the black and white theme you have going on there, nice.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Native - I am actually pausing midstream after looking at this post. :) I am now thinking that I will patch the transom on the "spare" boat, retap the gudgeon holes and then spend some time on my 1990 hulls getting them totally restored as per this project boat in this thread. That is assuming there is nothing else badly wrong with the spare

I pick up the spare boat next Friday so hoping I can be sailing on Jordan the next weekend :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Drummer:

I totaly prepped the hull before I took it to the painters. The painter had the gel coat and was included in the price. It was some what long but a rewarding process.

Native and Hawk:
Thanks for the comments. I wanted a very Clean looking boat and that is what I shot for. Still got to get the license for it but it will be done the same way as not to spoil the looks. Custom letters and numbers to match the Hobie logo.

Will post more pics soon and like I said a video of it on the water. If any of yall are around the Lake Eufaula area be on the look out for a hobie and it will be me!!!!!!

Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

rpembert,

I read through the whole thread and the steps you took to have it look the way it does today and can't help but be inspired. Maybe I missed it but I am curious about what paint you used for the rudder castings and such? Just got an '84 H16 and think the tiller crossbar, rudder castings, tiller arms, and trampoline crossbars all need freshening. Suggestions welcome.

'95 H16 sail #101148

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I first used the spray paint that you would use on a grill, that flat black paint high temp stuff. It was ok. Then I covered it with flat black Krylon and it was the ticket. I may get it powder coated later, I have a friend that does that 8)

Really up to you.

I also went to the court house to get the boat a license and the folks behind the counter had no idea what to do with a sailboat :lol: They couldnt even say Hobie right! Some thought it didnt need to have a license, other thought it did. They called the marine police, local sheriff's office..... It was crazy!!! An hour later I finally walked out with the license. One lady said she had been there for 20 years and never done a sailboat!

Good times................
Joshua

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"You would like to title a....Hobby?" "What in the world is that?" I went through a similar experience. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When i transfered my title from Jersey to PA we had a hell of a mess. PA said the VIN on the NJ title wasn't long enough. Its a 1973 that was painted. no way in hell i was going to find a VIN on that hull. we went round and round then all of a sudden a title shows up in the mail. Idiots....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reel, I had a similar experience with my H14t going from NJ to PA. NJ had assigned the boat a random VIN instead of using the hull stamp for who knows why, but local title co. was able to get PA one done with right info. Getting the trailer registered and licensed was the mess and half for me..

'95 H16 sail #101148

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

exactly the jersey VIN was some random number not a hobie number.

I see your from Hanover.... Where do you sail?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reel, I sail at Codorus State Park. I may try sailing on the lower Susquehanna on by Wrightsville. I looked at a boat down there and made a contact to sail there then. Looks like can get a bit choppy but lots of space with about 9 miles long by 1- 1.5 miles wide. Where do you go?

'95 H16 sail #101148

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here she is with the registration #'s on. Salt Life logo aswell. I think it looks great. 8) Dont mind the broken asphalt beside the boat, I fell earlier that day. LOL :lol:

Image\

Joshua

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next