Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIGPa0-YHk[/youtube]

Cyril Narishkin - Sailing Hobie Mirage Tandem Island at Creve Coeur lake St. Louis, MO March 17th 2011 wind at 20 to 25 knots!

Last edited by Creative on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe you need to reef in a little... :shock: Wow, you were moving :D Nice video.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice clip creative. That's the most I've ever seen a Ama submerged. Hey Bob, while you're here, have you ever done a wind speed to boat speed comparison. Have you ever worked out some sort of gut feel ratio between the two ?
( P.S. here is a customer who could do with one of your spray skirts )

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When we go out in wind like that, we make sure we have the trampolines deployed so Cindy can hike out on the upwind side to keep the amas level. You can go much faster that way. However, we have also discovered that there can be such a thing as too much wind for even that, and have had to reef down on occasion.

Good video!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good video! Maybe sailing AI/TIs in high winds is the next step.

I was sailing my AI in 40 mph winds, but I definately had a few reef points in. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=138314#p138314

It did not dawn on me at the time to turn the video on, since I have not been a video person, but there are times when video can capture the moment nicely.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Hey Bob, while you're here, have you ever done a wind speed to boat speed comparison. Have you ever worked out some sort of gut feel ratio between the two ?
( P.S. here is a customer who could do with one of your spray skirts )
The AI can go no more than about 1/2 the wind speed unless it gets help by current or waves. The TI about 1mph faster, maybe more.

Yep, defiantly a wet ride there! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best ad for Bob's spray skirts I have seen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is insane! At 2:14 the port side ama and aka are completely underwater. When everything thing is working the Hobie is something else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice water. When we go out in 20 kts. we also have about a foot and a half of chop. On top of a swell.

I am just curious, but does anyone know how much impact or drag it takes to shear the nylon bolt that keeps that leeward ama out away from the hull?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think Creative was about to answer that question at any time. :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my TI out in 35 mph winds (not on purpose, it came up on me) and find it extremely difficult to make any headway upwind in pretty much any winds 25 mph or above, as far as I can tell it's near impossible but I'm no expert. I also had alot of difficulty with my tramps in 35 mph winds and 4 ft waves, as I peaked over the waves if I was not heading nose first into them, the wind would catch the tramp and try very hard to capsize the boat ( I had to hike out). I have never heard of anyone capsizing a TI but I have come very close on several ocassions. Anymore if the wind are over 20mph, I prefer to stay home, It's just not fun to me. Actually that day the 35 mph winds hit us, a Hobie Getaway launched at the same time as me and he did capsize.
Has anyone been able to get their TI to sail upwind in high winds, of course downwind or a reach is a blast.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if it works with the TI, but I've been able to make upwind progress in 30+ knots in the AI by furling all but about 2-3 feet of sail, then taking very wide tacks (maybe 75 to 80 degrees to the wind). It wasn't much fun, but it got me home (eventually).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Has anyone been able to get their TI to sail upwind in high winds, of course downwind or a reach is a blast.
I too can't make it upwind above 25mph, and I can't get the bow to come across the wind above 30mph, so I have to jibe only then.

But it's fun trying! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've only had the TI a few months so far, and have been in 20+ knot winds maybe half a dozen times so far. We have more or less determined that the best, most fun wind for us is in the 10-15 kt. range. while we've furled the sail and gone without the tramps, it's still somewhat of a struggle to sail comfortably and unworried above about 24 kts. We've only done that a couple times, and I was getting a bit worried about breaking things. I mean, this IS a kayak, after all. Held together with relatively small bungees and plastic bolts at the corners. I suspect that if you push it hard enough, when things finally do start folding up on you it all goes south in a hurry.

I haven't seen the video on how to right a TI yet. Anyone have a link?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail on the Sarasota Bay and if we have any wind at all we get waves. this water is flat which would make sailing a real pleasure.

On turning over in the AI. I deployed the sail without extending the amas and over I went. 50 feet from shore with plenty of on lookers. In retrospect I should have climbed up on the hull and paddled to shore. Instead I tried swimming and got nowhere. even the wind did not seem to move the AI when it was down side up. Someone swam out and took the stern line and pulled me into shallow water where I righted the ship and deployed the amas and off I went, but dealing with a capsized boat is something I need to try in calmer conditions.