Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like the gudgeon has to be replaced. Does anyone know?
I wonder if I shall fit the modification kit (which I received 6 months after it was issued) or wait for the new rudder.

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bo - looks like a nice (but cold) part of the world :)
I would be keen to explore your waterways in high summer :D :lol: :wink:

I don't know what your current rudder arrangement is but I guess there must have been a reason for the current ( interim) upgrade.
I am not that happy with it but know that I can rely on it providing I lock it down and use the bungee. I am not prepared to take any chance of losing control :wink:
Like everyone, I am really looking forward to the new rudder, however we don't know when we are going to get it. Matt Miller did indicate that if all testing went well, we could expect them this April/ May.
I think there is a fair chance we may see this blow out - possibly until after the new model year ( August).
If it was me, would do the upgrade. :wink:

Do you have any AI/ TI buddies you can sail with?

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Mickey,
Yes it is a cold place now. Still ice in the archipelago. However, the summer temperatures can be very pleasant with 25°C in the air and 20°C in the water. We have a short summer but on the other hand around midsummer there are long days.
It looks like some time before permeant rudder arrives and I will fit the temporary rudder when I have found out what screws shall be used for the gudgeon. Anyone who knows the spec.?

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

given hobies history with craft that can deal with tough conditions ie h16, wave, virtually all of their sailcraft, it's hard to understand why this weak link is still here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

mpcguy wrote:
it's hard to understand why this weak link is still here.

Still here?

The TI rudder was re-designed and functions very well now. Been on production boats since April. All free rudder upgrade kits were shipped by us by June or July I believe. Getting them to the far ends of the supply chain should be done. Contact your dealer if your still need a new rudder.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can certainly vouch for Hobies efforts on fixing this problem. From my own personal experience. I just recently had the newer upgrade installed on a TI 2010.

The only problems I have seen regarding this upgrade, is the confusion provided by the local dealer. I resolved this by pulling up the Hobie website, and reading it to the local dealer, via phone. The dealer then contacted Hobie, and called me 15 minutes later to install the rudder system himself. He was pretty good about the miscommunication, though he admitted he had told about 15 people prior to me false information regarding the availability of this upgrade.

Though I had no problem with the prior rudder system, I completed the upgrade, since I had little interest in experiencing rudder failure first hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings. My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our brief experience with our TI but winter is setting in. I have to say this forum was integral to my purchase. It is extremely informative, creative and interesting. I especially appreciate Matt Millers participation. Thanks to Hobie for an excellent product and service.
So I haven't put on my new rudder and was wondering if I wait until the spring, and my local dealer gets in the more heavy duty spectra used on the new rudder, would they or I be able to replace the lines in total instead of the quick and easy knot tying? We plan on sailing and camping in the Apostle Islands and I hate to hassle with working past the lines through the hatch and I like a clean design. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith, I don't suppose you took a picture of Jib where if connects to the top of the main sail on Jim's TI you could post?

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captkirk wrote:
So I haven't put on my new rudder and was wondering if I wait until the spring, and my local dealer gets in the more heavy duty spectra used on the new rudder, would they or I be able to replace the lines in total instead of the quick and easy knot tying? We plan on sailing and camping in the Apostle Islands and I hate to hassle with working past the lines through the hatch and I like a clean design. Any thoughts?
You will still will have knots and loops tying the rudder lines to the inside lines, because of the tube assemblies that have seals in them and are not meant to be restrung. I'd suggest doing the install at your leisure, and then carrying enough extra spectra line to someday replace, as necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, Ripit, I did not get a closeup of that jib/mast attachment.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon