Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternative kayak dolly
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Alternative kayak dolly. :lol:

The areas I transport my kayaks have a combination of terrain problems. From rocks, sand, and some areas I have to lift one end over obstacles. The OEM carts will not work. I have three kayaks, all different manufactures. :oops:

Made in the USA, Home Depot’s hand truck. 600 lbs capacity, fiberglass reinforced nylon polymer doesn’t rust, contoured cross bracing, built stair climber, and 4-ply 10â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent idea! I'm on my way to H.D.!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great adaptation. I like your resourcefulness. Do you treat the steel wheels/axle with any water repellant or rust inhibitor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Noalias and Roadrunner :lol:

So far I have had no rust problems even though I use it on the ocean. The shaft is 5/8 and the only thing that may cause some concern but HD also has aluminum stock to replace it with. I have a section of 5/8 SS all-thread I can use. The wheels are galvanized. I wash down my yak and cart after each use.

Some of the things I like in the cart compared to the OEM cart is I am able to pull the kayak from the stern handle while protecting the rudder and when I pick it up the wheels don’t fall out. I have to navigate some tight turns with a 16 ft Adventure. It works well with my perception Caster 12.5. When going over obstacles the tires bounce like it has shocks, less impact on the yak and onboard equipment. It stands up by its self so its easer to put the yak on it.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
The OEM carts will not work

Thats not entirly true...the heavy duty Hobie OEM cart is fantistic and does it all though a tad pricey. It has wide pneumatic tires, all stanless steel, attaches via a wrap around strap and best of all the wheels come off easily and it all fits in the front hatch of the Adventure!!

I acknowledge the standard cart will not work in what you want to do.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
the heavy duty Hobie OEM cart is fantistic and does it all

Hi Booligal :lol:

I tried the heavy duty cart and my yak shifts in the strap it doesn’t stand up by its self. IT WILL NOT WORK for what I do, sorry. The only benefit would be storage if I wanted to take it with me. That wouldn’t help me on my other two yaks.

Have a good day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: By the way if you haven’t seen the new Hobie Heavy Duty Cart here is a link

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/media/pdf/Hobie_Kayak.pdf

Alternative: a. The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities. b. A situation presenting such a choice. c. Either of these possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tut tut Hobie...while examining the brochure and particularly page 11 (nothing to do with the gorgeous brunette of course) noticed that the hobie they are pulling doesnt have the Mirage drive tethered and and the drive sail is dragging in the sand...tut tut...very naughty!!

...but damn she is beautifull!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:49 am 
Hobie Team Member

What about problems with the undercarriage? The OEM section that was originally connected to the front lift plate.

Does it hangup on rocks? If so what happens when you pull the yak over the rock?

The original light weight Hobie was pretty good at going overrocks except the tire would come off. I fixed that problem by placing some screws through the hard rubber tires into the plastic frame- predrilling the holes.

Would still like something more heavy duty hence my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi AlohaDan :lol:

This conversion cart is 600 lb capacity. Don’t think I would ever need a heaver one.

The main reasons for the cart is A. The largest pneumatic tires possible (width and height). B. Light weight but heavy duty C. Ability to handle multiple kayaks. D. Cost and ease of construction.

:roll: This is not the cats meow but a compromise. There are some good carts out there at a price. This is an alternative. Hobie is still working on their carts to make them heavy duty. They have a tire conversion for the standard cart which is much better over rocks. If I had the standard cart and only the Hobie to transport I would be using the new tires and add a strap.

If I only had the Hobie and no cart I would go for the Hobie Heavy Duty Cart like Booligal and put up with it twisting at times.

Mine works better for my multiple kayaks but down the road I will have to replace the axel and it would be awkward to take it with me if I so desired.

The undercarriage, if faced the right way, goes over rocks and curbs with ease after all it’s a hand truck and made for rough terrain. If you were to back up however it may hang on the framework. The undercarriage can be cut to your desired configuration but I wished to have mine stand flatter to assist with loading.

:) Hope this helps and please note this is still only a compromise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PS The OEM section of the hand truck that was connected to the lift plate is the section that I attached the PVC pipe to, it was also contoured.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you have any pictures?

OffRoad wrote:
Hi AlohaDan :lol:

This conversion cart is 600 lb capacity. Don’t think I would ever need a heaver one.

The main reasons for the cart is A. The largest pneumatic tires possible (width and height). B. Light weight but heavy duty C. Ability to handle multiple kayaks. D. Cost and ease of construction.

:roll: This is not the cats meow but a compromise. There are some good carts out there at a price. This is an alternative. Hobie is still working on their carts to make them heavy duty. They have a tire conversion for the standard cart which is much better over rocks. If I had the standard cart and only the Hobie to transport I would be using the new tires and add a strap.

If I only had the Hobie and no cart I would go for the Hobie Heavy Duty Cart like Booligal and put up with it twisting at times.

Mine works better for my multiple kayaks but down the road I will have to replace the axel and it would be awkward to take it with me if I so desired.

The undercarriage, if faced the right way, goes over rocks and curbs with ease after all it’s a hand truck and made for rough terrain. If you were to back up however it may hang on the framework. The undercarriage can be cut to your desired configuration but I wished to have mine stand flatter to assist with loading.

:) Hope this helps and please note this is still only a compromise.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Capt-tony, welcome to the forum. Sadly, OffRoad hasn't posted in over 12 years. He was a great innovator and excellent photographer though! You are obviously very good at using the search feature, but don't hold your breath for pics.