Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm not getting enough
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOT WHAT YOU THINK :?

I have not been out in my TI for quite a while; and I am not happy. Cant complain to the wife and family so I though I would do it here :x

It have been at least 1 month since I have been out in my TI (weather & family commitments)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cindy and I are looking forward to the new sailing season as well - hang in there!

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not getting enough either :roll:

Been playing at being a photographer now that sunrise is at a respectable 0700 and going to play tour guide up the mountains this weekend. After that I've promised someone a kayaking trip so the AI will be used again soon! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I feel your pain. Here it is Wednesday and we have not taken the TI out since Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was it this morning or yesterday that 'PiratesLot' was last used. Oh and Sunday too...hmmm...I must have too much time on my hands...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am going through the same pain wanting to go out, I usually am out every weekend, but last week, the hull around the scupper holes in my TI ripped when I pulled the boat out of the water (bummer). I took the boat to the dealer (Economy Tackle in Sarasota FL) and a new replacement hull was shipped from CA the same day. I am hoping to get my new hull this week. We are planning to go to Key West for a couple weeks leaving Saturday for some scuba diving and sailing fun. Hope the boat is ready in time, as I'm bouncing off the walls waiting to go out sailing again. Though I did get the cars washed and waxed last weekend, as well as a bunch of yard work, repairs around the house, etc looking for something to do with myself while waiting for my TI to be fixed. I have to mention how impressed I am with Hobiecats service and support, as well as the dealer support from Economy Tackle. I'm a strong supporter and believer in the Hobie way.
Bob
2007 Revolution
2010 Tandem Island
We sail and Kayak mostly around Sarasota and Key West FL areas (year round)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow Bob....but Hobie came to the party once again. Can you please tell how the damage occurred, and where exactly...Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate:
Actually I don't think I did anything wrong, I went out sailing like normal, when I came back to shore, I put the wheels in while out in waist deep water, then walked toward shore, the beach was not too steep and smooth (where I normally launch). I pulled the boat ten feet up onto shore where I began removing the AMA's and rigging, I noticed the tears in the hull on the upper side of the hull around the scupper holes (the scupper holes just in front of the rear mirage drive). The holes were bulged upward about a half inch, I felt down into the holes and everything was intact inside the scupper holes, it was just the top surface, and the bottom was undamaged. I have the old style trax cart (not the new extra wide cart) that I bought from the Hobie dealer. The only thing I can think happened is the wheels maybe dipped into a soft spot in the sand caused by the surf, and when I pulled on the boat the lateral stress must have been too much for the hull. The wheels never left the scupper holes, or dropped down at all (they float so that would be pretty hard to do). I was pretty suprised, I've done this same pull out procedure several hundred times at the same beach, same spot, and never have had any problems before. I took the boat to the dealer, they took a couple photos and had a replacement hull on the truck the same day from CA. I am so impressed with Hobie as a company. I did alot of research before buying my boats, and everyone said Hobie is the best out there, I agree.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

We attribute the raised area around the scuppers to longer periods of time on the cart. The scuppers are being pushed up through the boat. We are very concerned about the load in this area and are looking for other ways (carts) to carry the boat or distribute the loads over a wider area (cradles). Be sure to get the boat off the cart when storing or leaving for extended periods.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob for that detailed information which is most informative and many TI owners need to know. And thanks Matt for your input. It makes sense that the weight on bottom skin from the cart is pushing the scupper tubes up causing them to delaminate from the top deck with is inflexible. The additional weight of the TI comes with its challenges doesn't it....Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
We attribute the raised area around the scuppers to longer periods of time on the cart. The scuppers are being pushed up through the boat. We are very concerned about the load in this area and are looking for other ways (carts) to carry the boat or distribute the loads over a wider area (cradles). Be sure to get the boat off the cart when storing or leaving for extended periods.

Like this Matt

Patent Pending but I'll see what my lawers think. :wink:

If doing this mod fellas, make sure that the distance is minimal between the cart crossbar support and the bottom of the hull, otherwise the leverage is greater when the cart goes to and fro over rocks, up gutters and especially being pulled in sand. Under these loads all the force is being transfered laterally to the scupper holes.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter:
Actually it was the lateral stress that you mentioned is the one that got me. I suspect the wheels got caught up in the soft sand as I was pulling the boat forward. The bulges and tears were only at the front edge of the scupper hole at the top only, there was no damage at all inside or on the underside. I understand Matts explanation and can see how the scupper holes could be pushed up from the weight especially in warmer weather and a long period of time. I was told when I bought the boat by the dealer to never leave it on the wheels for any extended period of time, and never have left it on the cart for more than ten minutes or so (just to get the boat in and out of the water, and into my garage. Well ok there was that one day I went out sailing all day with the wheels left under the boat, cursing all day long how poor the performance was that day, boy did I feel stupid when I came ashore, but that only hurt my dignity and pride, not the boat. Until the new cart become available I will modify my trax cart with two 1/4 inch steel rods about a foot long and covered with rubber tubing. I plan to drill a cross hole off center through the collars on the cart that sit against the bottom of the boat. (might have to make bigger collars). The rods will fit nicely in the two grooves on the bottom of the boat and should counter any lateral force. I had already added a padding to the center bar, and added collars on the cart to help support the boat on three points (as directed and advised by the dealer), but didn't anticipate the lateral force problem. I also noticed that the tires grow larger over time (especially in warmer weather) when inflated with enough pressure to support the TI. My solution was to remove the filling valve and fill the tires with great stuff urethane foam. I then screwed the valves back in, and the tires now stay inflated all the time and no longer get larger, it works great.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its not a problem in the AI Slaughter, it's only in the TI because of the extra weight. I don't believe lateral pressure is a problem in either of them so long as the cart is fully mounted in the scupper tubes. I could see however that distortion of the bottom of the hull where the TI bears down on the cart will put stresses on the scuppers at their top where they fuse into the deck and where it is most rigid...Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt

I have been thinking of a pressed piece of stainless steel plate about 6" wide contoured to the hull shape. It would have 2 holes to slip over the uprights on the cart. Easy to supply and fit to our existing carts. They would be simple and reasonably cheap to make in quantity.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

have any of you thought about seriously increasing the surface contact area of the cross plank on the cart? If you can put more square inches there, the pounds per sq. inch is going to be less, which will result in less pressure being placed upon the vertical columns of the scupper walls.

The scupper hole connection should just be to keep it all aligned. But looking at the photos of the various carts, it seems to me that any of them would be kinder to the hulls if you just about tripled the area of support. Spread the weight around to a big cart top. Let the cart worry about transferring that weight to the wheels.

One simple idea would be to make a cross piece that attaches to the existing cross piece in the middle of the two, with a carriage bolt or similar. The second cross piece could be assembled to the first so that they formed an "X" or maybe a "+" would be better description. The second cross piece would be fore and aft on the hull.

For transporting and storing the cart, you could lift the second piece off and if it had holes in it to accomodate the vertical pipes, it could be dropped right back over the pipes and secured with the same, central carriage bolt.

I mean, this problem is all about weight distribution, and load bearing concentration. Spread the weight out, the problem will eventually go away.