Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Admin

I would be concerned about strapping into any boat on the water. Being tangled in lines or prevented from escaping an upturned boat would be my worry. If a leash is used, I would route that to the bow. You want the boat to turn upwind and not drag you along. Next would be a possible sea anchor deployment if you were to be ejected somehow.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

DHeadrick wrote:
It depends on:

* One's sailing experience, both in general and on the boat in question
* A frank self-assessment of one's abilities
* Where the boat will be used and under what conditions
* What risks one is willing to take
* Past experiences with safety practices that have and haven't worked
* Military background, if any -- I'm sure this develops a better mindset to plan for *and* handle emergencies.
* Recommendations from others
* And many other factors

My advice is NOT to be fastened by anykind of seatbelt.
But to fastened to the kayak.
If you by ANY chance will fall overboard, your ONLY chance is to stay with your kayak. So you must secure that you will NOT be separated from kayak.
The TI is very stable so if overturned you will be sitting under water trying to get your seatbelt OFF. And when it is OFF you don´t have any secure connection to your kayak. Better having a connection with your kayak that feels ok when you are swimming in the water. Sorry for the bad english, but I think you get my point.

regards from Sweden
thomas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good thoughts, KB. Lots of food for thought on this thread.

I've posted a new picture story about several people's experience (myself & 3 WaterTribers) when a fierce storm passed through south Florida recently (March 10.) It was extremely fast moving and gave people very little time to prepare. I've entitled the story The Storm: AI/TI in 40 knot winds, shark encounter, tethered under a capsized boat.

The link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&p=139684#p139684

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith: Great link, thanks!

Thomas: You brought up a good point I hadn't thought of (still new at this, including thinking through the "what ifs"), namely that, if the TI is capsized and I have a seat belt on, once I release the seat belt, I'm completely detached from the boat. And the conditions that caused the capsize in the first place probably wouldn't be conducive to me getting back to the boat.

Hmmm...this is probably a spurious thought....does anyone make a seat belt that automatically releases when it's upside down? This certainly wouldn't be good for a rolling car, but I presume that the TI, once it's turned over, isn't coming back up by itself, i.e. I'll always want to get out. Just a (likely spurious) thought, but thought I'd ask the question.