Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For those that might be interested, I discovered that the Bravo makes for a pretty effective Kayak. Given the success of the Adventure Island, and the desire of Kayakers to add sails to their craft, I began to wonder if it works in reverse.

I've avoided the quite coves and interesting inlets on my home lake while sailing the Bravo. I used to enjoy going into these spots in my Kayak, but didnt' think it would be easy to sail into or out of, as they are generally very calm.

This weekend, I reefed the main, extended my Kayak paddle to its full length, and gave it a go. I found it easy to sit in the middle of the cockpit, and paddle Kayak style. It worked surprisingly well. Given the cat hulls are really not much more volume than a regular Kayak, it seemed logical. I raised the rudder and off I went. It tracked well, glided, and was easy to steer. I found sitting in the middle was more effective, rather than the rear. I think I'll look for a kayak style seat, something I can strap to the foot straps for some back support and as a way to get some resistance. Cup Holders work pretty well as foot pegs.

This opens up new avenues, when the wind dies, or for exploring new spots. When you think of the Bravo as a sailing Kayak - it has lots to offer. More room for camping gear etc, a terrific sailing capability, and an OK 'yak when you want to go where you can't sail.

At 195# you won't be carrying it anywhere, but its nice to not have to go in at dusk when there is no more wind for the day.

Post subject: Paddle storage
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where do you put the paddle when you sail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a two part Kayak paddle. I bungee cord the two pieces to one side of the A-frame. I leave them there all the time, so I always have them with me if the wind dies. I don't even notice that they are there anymore.

Of course if you really want a sailing Kayak .... ---> Hobie Adventure Island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow. That is a great suggestion. I have had a Dart 18 and still have a Dart 15, and when the wind dies I have to paddle on home. Not an easy thing to do for a prolonged period of time (especially when dealing with a current). You are sitting on one of the hulls and the position you are in kills your back, plus steering is problematic. Seeing how the beam of the Bravo is significanlty less than that of most Cats, sitting in the middle, rudder up and being able to paddle on both sides makes for great momentum and steerage. Thanks for coming up with that one.

What is the overall length of the paddle? I don't want to get one that is too short or longer than needed. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kayak Paddle:
Adventure Harmony 87"-92" seems to work pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bruce.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anybody had anymore experience with this? I am trying to revive this thread. We might be onto some thing here. The bravo could with the proper modifications be one of the best personal adventure crafts there is. Anymore stories Bruce?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

I was thinking along similar lines:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34075

How good would it be with a mirage drive too? :-)

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A mirage would be great but modding the boat for one would be tricky. What about a seat? [url]http://www.paddlerscove.com/voyagerseathighback.aspx/url]This one looked nice but would have to secure somehow to the boat. Maybe a few short parachord loops attached to a carabiner on the foot straps would work. I love the sailing but taking a collapsable rod and tackle kit in an inlet would be awesome. The nice thing with the bravo is you could also stand and fish if you got tired of sitting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's just a couple of random thoughts:

You could paddle a Bravo like a Stand-Up Paddleboard, too...

And here's something I've done for my kayaks, for nighttime paddling: I bought a battery-operated 360-degree light (the white "anchoring" light) - and mounted it to a piece of 1-1/4" PVC pipe about 2' in length. Fits perfectly in the fishing rod holder of my kayak - but could also be bungied to the A-frame of the Bravo?? Now you're legal to be out after dark!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice to see the thread re-activated..

I've had a H16 - sold. Bravo - sold. And now have a Wave a (2) AI's.

If I could only have one boat ---> I'd take the Bravo.

Of the bunch --> it met my needs, in all kinds of wind, on my local water, the best of them all.

It is a neat, fun, easy to use Hobie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've always said the boat is the cheap part - can't help but buy nice/good quality equipment & accessories; just makes boating that much more fun. I love to sail up/down the Inter-coastal at night in the breeze. Have been using a headband lamp, which I like, but is a little insufficient, depending on the speed of the boats on any particular night. Just purchased and mounted the ParkerMount® NavBeam Paddlesports Headlight from:
[url]
http://www.moxie.com/secure_server/kaya ... 13dtv6s941[/url]

It's expensive - $99 and then I purchased a Ram u-bracket mount to mount on the A-frame upright. Now for the good part: the Tektite Mark III white light (200 hrs on 3 AA) is like a freaking-laser-beam. It is bright out front and easy to see from the side. It has a rubber "washer" around the base of the light cone and coupled with the light's natural design, it throws very little light back into my eyes or the cockpit. Yea!!! I'm highly visible, yet still get to enjoy the solitude of an evening sail - pay the man! Cheers, Kevin.

Lived aboard 30' S-2 Center Cockpit for 13 years (Milwaukee WI / Corpus Cristi TX / Miami Beach FL) about 12 years ago. Don't miss the maintenance, but miss the sailing - Just purchased Used Hobie-Bravo - WOW!