Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Purchased a 2005 Bravo on Wed and had it out last two nights - WOW, what a good time! Obviously still learning the boat and have not even had chance to rinse every part of her down thoroughly, as she was stored on the beach (including the mast/sail in a sock). I have noticed the mast does not appear to feather into the wind, which does not seam to be that big a deal, except the BOB is always pointing in the wrong direction. My question is this common, or should in fact the mast rotate well enough that Bob should always be into the wind. If so, should I do anything besides the following:

- Completely flush out the Mast bearings with water; lube with Boeshield (dries to non-stick wax; awesome stuff).

- Boeshield the mast socket/ball.

- Re-tighten the down-haul.

- I made sure the furling line was not too tight last night, no change.

It didn't come with a boom assembly, but I have ordered one. Not sure of condition of sail; have not inspected it or sailed it in the day. Still trying to revive my 30 yr old dinghy sailing skills, so just now starting to look up more often; has been pretty comical - rolling around, trying to keep the mainsheet out of my feet, steering the extension in the wrong direction - great fun!

Thanks, Kev

Lived aboard 30' S-2 Center Cockpit for 13 years (Milwaukee WI / Corpus Cristi TX / Miami Beach FL) about 12 years ago. Don't miss the maintenance, but miss the sailing - Just purchased Used Hobie-Bravo - WOW!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

The float aligns with the top of the main, so will be into the wind when sailing full sail. You would have to furl to just the right spot to align when reefing or storing for the night. Does not rotate as the wind direction changes when on the beach.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The mast/BOB is not turning into the wind when under sail; I think the down-haul may not be tight enough and the sail is simply twisting around the mast. I'll have some time today to play with it and actually see it in the daylight.

What a wonderful boat. It really, really evokes the feelings when my Dad taught me to sail that first day in a sunfish - what a day and what enjoyment from this boat. Thanks for a great boat! Kev

Lived aboard 30' S-2 Center Cockpit for 13 years (Milwaukee WI / Corpus Cristi TX / Miami Beach FL) about 12 years ago. Don't miss the maintenance, but miss the sailing - Just purchased Used Hobie-Bravo - WOW!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK - time for some serious sleuthing. I've sailed in several kinds of conditions and the mast does not appear to rotate freely enough to point Bob into the wind. I'm assuming this is due to two potential issues. The mast appears to rotate based on ball which pivots on stainless post. There are no bearings, washers or any thing "slippery" inside the ball. Are there any missing parts? I thought the ball was loose and tightened slight, which then prevented it from moving at all - oops, that's not right. I would think it would also not tend to rotate so easily under load - your input would be appreciated.

The other potential issue appears to be there is a lot of twist in the top half of the sail (using my new boom - cool). I haven't spent enough time with the boat/rig to understand what is normal (having a tough time tacking in strong current/wind - assuming my technique at this time).

Any insight welcome; probably really not that big a deal - just really bugs me from an aesthetic point of view. Cheers, Kevin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Note: "into the wind" would generally be pointing about 15-30 degrees to weather... not straight forward. The float aligns with the sail. From looking at the Bravo photo gallery, it seems to be twisted around in some photos.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good clarification - it's running sidewise to bassackwards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

KevMiami wrote:
Good clarification - it's running sidewise to bassackwards.

I will "hand twist" it straight if necessary. It does change tack to tack...