Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo Boom Questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I know there are a couple boom posts already, but those are from a few years ago so I'm hoping for somewhat of an update.

I want to be sold on the boom. I don't like how when I go downwind my sail curls so much, this may be perhaps because I grew up with Lasers. Regardless, I would prefer it to keep it's shape so I can go downwind with some speed, and also because the lake I'm on has lots of islands and narrow parts where the wind direction keeps changing I just want some more control.

1) Do you love your boom?
2) I've read that when you furl the sail the boom goes up like a drawbridge. Can you still sail it if you only wanted to furl half of the sail?
3) When you are done sailing for the day do you furl the sail and leave the boom up in the air, or do you take it off? Does it cause damage to anything?
4) Is it easy enough to take off when younger kids want to go out for some fun, but I don't want the boom attached for safety reasons.
5) Does the Bravo look silly with the boom or does it look natural? I couldn't find any videos or pictures with it attached.

Sorry for all the questions, but any feedback would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Bravo Boom Questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm still debating on a boom as well...my kids use their Bravos at sailing school...the other kids make fun of the Hobie because of no boom, calling it not a boat. However, the laughs & giggles come to an abrupt end when the Bravo flies past the 420's and Opti's. :?

Here's a couple of vids of Bravos with booms installed at a French sailing school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3EtVO1wSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvTXRCVIm_M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am 
Site Admin

The boom will increase the performance a bit, but complicates the sail furling. Does not work well for reefing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We got the boom for my wifes Bravo and she loved it, added a good deal of sail shape options, especially off wind). You still can go without when the time dictates. On shore we would unhook the boom and wrapped the sail as if boomless (less windage). 8)

P.S. Of course she is now boomless again, sailing a Weta Trimaran (a little plug for the compitition). :wink: