Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cape Fear River
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to this group. I have an 09 Getaway on the intercoastal waterway near hampstead NC (about 25 miles north of Wilmington) This will be my 3rd summer there coming up. I'm a teacher so I get my summers off! This year I would like to sail down the waterway and up the Cape Fear River. Will probably stay a night in Wilmington and sail back next day. I may have to make it a two day trip each way. I want to tent camp on the cat one night each way. I would appriciate any information or suggestions. I have only had it as far south as the end of TopSail Island before.

Post subject: Re: Cape Fear River
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has been touched on before, looks like a nice fit.
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31936

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am more interested in any info on this part of the Intercoastal waterway, or sailing on the Cape Fear River. Tides can be several feet in this area, and I understand the currents on the Cape Fear River can be quite strong. I also would like to know any areas that allow overnight camping. There are also alligators in the Cape Fear River!! Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have sailed up and down the Cape fear river for a few years in the Adventure island and have enjoyed it immensely. People always talk about the Gators in the river but I have only ever seen them north of downtown wilmington where the river splits and is alot narrower. I never go up there anyway. The shipping channel can be quite busy and you will see BIG container ships and the like. They throw big wakes but I just have fun with those. As for camping.... I have never done it but people camp on the numerous Islands in the middle of the river. Don't think any one ever bothers them. one in particular called Keg Island (look on Google Maps of the river) has a sandy Beach area on the North west side that has a Geocache, Corp of engineers marker and fire pits and well above tide tent sites with great views of the river. The currents can get weird and the wind can kick up some rogue waves in some places Like the memorial bridge. Just watch the tide tables www.saltwatertides.com and follow the river zoomed on google earth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! Seems like it might be a fun trip. It appears to be about 45 - 50 miles each way. Hope to give it a try this June or July!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ken,

I spend a lot of time at Bald Head playing with various water toys. Between a few friends we have a fleet that includes a Getaway, a Laser, an H16, an International 14, some standup paddle boards, some Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks, some traditional paddle kayaks, a Boston Whaler we use for tubing, etc. I have found that the currents are very unpredictable right at the confluence of the Cape Fear and the Atlantic. It is a fun place to play because there are large choppy waves coming from all different directions. However, there are also huge container ships that go right through there. I've contemplated getting a small motor for the Getaway for the sole reason that I have nightmares about getting stuck in irons right in the path of a massive ship. Be careful if you venture down that far.

When your plans firm up email me at thetoddjohnson--at--gmail. Perhaps we can tinker in the waves together. I might even have an open bed for you at BHI depending on who's in the house.

TJ