Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TI on roof of X Trail
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All
Been lurking since I purchased a TI late last year, thought it was time to contribute. The roof racks on my X Trail are rated at 80kg so I was a bit worried about car topping. After research on this site I came up with the following . There are removable braces between the centre and rear racks. Works well and very secure.
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the forum Andrew. Looks like you found a good solution to car top your TI.
Are you from around Canberra?
Looking forward to more pics of your trips.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
There are removable braces between the centre and rear racks. Works well and very secure.

Andrew that looks like a good solution.
I can only see three support racks - the rear one having an extension to help you manage the weight and assist in raising it onto the roof.
Where are the removable braces between the centre and rear rack?

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Micky

If you look on the first photo you can see the left side support going forward from the left side of the rear bar. The right side support is added once the boat is on the roof otherwise it gets in the way. These just easily clamp on and stop any movement of the rear bar.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:

Mickey, you can see one bar on the far side of the car in the first and second pics.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cowsgomoo wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:

Mickey, you can see one bar on the far side of the car in the first and second pics.

Thanks Cows - I can see that one but got the impression there was another removable brace between the centre and rear - which I can't see :? :roll:
I don't know how you could have more than one anyhow - I think it would get in the way.
Actually I thought it might be better to have the removable brace on the centre rack so that you're not lifting so much of the hull, however you would have an awful lot of boat in the air until you completed the lift. In that case I guess you could also have the rear rack brace to balance the load on before sliding it across.
Cows - I think you rooftop yours from memory. I would be interested in knowing how much physical effort is required.
I have rarely rooftopped the AI and found it fairly challenging loading it onto a Pajero 4WD due to the height. I used a small step ladder to assist as well as the Rack 'n Roll extension bar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Micky

following my previous reply here is a picture of the bracket.
The bigger ubolts are what I use to attach the roof basket to the roof racks. Just mutitask them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BigMac wrote:
Hi Micky

If you look on the first photo you can see the left side support going forward from the left side of the rear bar. The right side support is added once the boat is on the roof otherwise it gets in the way. These just easily clamp on and stop any movement of the rear bar.

Cheers

Andrew - I see!
Is that a Thule Goalpost 997 rack?? If it is, they get the wobble out of it using straps to the rear underside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn2T8Qg1P7Y
Have you got any padding on it??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the forum Andrew you lurker. Don't worry mate, we all lurked before contributing but you are off to a fine start. Very simple concept that works. Is the rear support off the tow bar adjustable? Just wondering how you get equal load at all three contact points.

P.S. Sydney Harbour regatta this Sunday. About 20 turning up. It's just up the road from Canberra.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Micky

The Thule requires a square receiver type towbar but mine is just a plate bolted on (see picture below). So I just made a bracket which replaces the tow ball tongue. It has bolts to adjust out the slack. It is very stable and does not require any straps. Once the boat is strapped on there is no sideways movement as the boat is tied at 3 points. I was however worried about the rear bar moving backwards during travel as the shape of the boat at the back could allow the straps to loosen if this happens. Also the additional supports strengthen up the rear bar when loading the boat using the extension arm.

Slaughter

Because I custom made this I just temporarily put the boat on the 2 roof bars in the position I wanted and measured how long the rear bar should be then made it about 10mm shorter to allow for the sticking on of some rubber .

Cheers Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like quite a bit of fabrication to make the system work. The roof rack of seems to be holding pretty well.