Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi;
I will be vacationing in Indian Shores, FL (between Clearwater and St. Pete) and would like to rent an TI to try. I plan to buy one this summer to sail in Lake Huron in Michigan.

Any recommendations on where these can be rented?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Local place "Tackle Shack" http://www.tackleshack.com/ Charges $50 for test runs of boats in stock, though might have issues trailering. Last time I was there, Andy had an AI ready to go ("if you provide your own trailer"). Give them a call, and see what they can do for you.

Plenty of kayak rental places all over. 3 I know of, are Dunedin Causeway (north Pinellas county), Ft. Desoto and Gulfport. I am sure there are plenty more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks!! I've rented kayaks in Fort DeSoto before, but I don't think they have any AI/TIs.

I'll check out the TackleShack as it is not far from where we are staying. I'll have to work out a plan for a trailer.

Thanks for the leads! :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not been able to find a place to rent a TI in the St. Pete area:BUT The TackleShack was a great find. For $100, they let you try any of their boats on the intercoastal. I met Richard at Veterans Park and he took me for my first spin in a TI. It was fantastic. the Mirage drive worked very well and we had a fast sail in a light wind. I was sold - literally. It turns out that The TackleShack can ship a TI to Michigan for me cheaper than I could buy locally. So I ponied up for a Dune model with trampolines and wheels. It should be in Detroit next week.

Thanks for the lead!

Can't wait to try it on chilly Lake Huron.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations!

Post subject: My new TI has arrived!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As promised, The Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park, Florida shipped my new Dune TI via Forward Air to Detroit. I picked it up just fine at the airport yesterday. We head up to Lexington, MI (on Lake Huron) tomorrow. Maybe an innaugural run on Sunday???
[url][url=http://ewanwannabe.smugmug.com/Other/2005-08-31-by-Eye-Fi/15120706_Jt9iX#1269915069_F4PH6PG-A-LB]Image[/url][/url]

It just fit on top of my Excursion!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

Glad this worked out. Ironically, I am looking at purchasing a TI in the near future. Austin Kayaks is the best price package I can find so far. Probably will not purchase from Tackle Shack, though they have plenty of Hobie gear in stock. Purchasing from Austin, I will save $250 and they give 15% discount on accessories at time of purchase.

BTW, nice addition to the roof rack.

Pete S.