Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I purchased my i14t I also thought it would be a great idea to buy the electric air pump that hobie sells. Well I plugged it in and the pump turns on and works just fine but I couldn't get it to inflate the yak for the life of me. I tried all the nozzles that came with the pump even though it seems the largest nozzle would be the best...but what the heck worth a shot. I even thought maybe it didn't work with one of the chambers (even though all the valves are the same) so I tried ever chamber but again no luck. I watched but it didn't even slightly budge as if it was slowly inflating. After a couple of minutes of troubleshooting I gave up and went back to the hand pump which worked just fine. I had the valve stems in the upright position like I would when using the hand pump. Can anyone help me out. I have pictures below of the pump and it's valves. Is this even the correct pump and/or nozzles? Appreciate the help. It'd be great to use from my 12V in the trunk while I'm setting up at boat launches.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You have to open the valves in the yak. The pump is high volume-very low
pressure. It will fill pretty quick, close the valves, then finish with the hand pump to get enough pressure.

Boxs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help! The instructions in the box were non hobie related and I thought about trying that but since the hand pump requires the valves to be closed I assumed the same for the 12V. Hopefully this should free up some time blowing up the yak. Can't wait to give it another try now. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How has the pump been for you? Or anyone else who's used it?

I'm worried it might hold a charge for a while, but eventually it will stop working.

Anybody been using this for a year or longer?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm too old to want to hand-inflate my Hobie i12S, so I bought the does-everything air pump for the Hobie inflatable kayaks, namely the Bravo BTP "manometer" pump from Austin Kayak Company. This pump contains both a turbine and a piston air pump. It automatically switches from one to the other and it will inflate any item to anything from .5 to about 15 psi. You can set it to shut off automatically when you reach the desired pressure. This pump works fine for me and I'm glad I have it.

The Bravo air pump runs off your auto or truck 12V battery, so if you want to inflate the kayak away from your vehicle, you'll need a rechargeable 12V battery. The 12V 22A sealed lead acid battery from Battery Sharks works just fine, and you can recharge it with a good-quality auto battery trickle recharger with automatic shutoff.

You can also get a purpose-designed battery for the Bravo air pump that comes with a charger included from Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2519947980 ... noapp=true). I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks good.