Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a '98 Wave with the old-style rudder castings. I have acquired a set of EZ-Loc rudders with the plastic castings and the longer crossbar. However, the old-style pintles are too short and I see there is a new part number for the EZ Loc pintles. My hope is to be able to swap back and forth between the old style and EZ-Loc. Is anyone else doing this successfully?

If I change to the new pintles,
1) will they match the transom bolt holes exactly?
2) Will they be the right distance vertically or will I have to re-drill?
3) Can I use the old style castings on the new style pintles?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

cut and pasted below are the rudder swap answers

1) Yes
2) See #1
3) Good question... Never tried that one.

<<Dave, you must be very careful in removing the old pintel screws. If they break, you will have a real issue. Trust me...I know.>> from Jack

YYou are so right! I pounded with a hand impact driver til my hands hurt and succeeded in loosening only one of eight of the screws of the lower pintles. How can you get those things out? Is this hopeless? I don't want to drill all 12 screws (upper and lower, larboard and starboard).
How can you get those things out? Is this hopeless? I don't want to drill all 12 screws (upper and lower, larboard and starboard).
By: David

There is an aluminum dogbone moulded inside the hull that the SS screws go into.

The only way I know is to have the right tools and hope for the best. Once the screw head breaks off, you have one opportunity to try and dill through the screw shank without the drill wandering to the side. You need to use a brand new bit about half the diameter of the srew. Once you have that hole drilled, you can progressively enlarge it so as to take the correct size tap.

Here is where it really gets tough. If you break the tap, you are dead in the water.
If things realy go south, you will have to fit hatch covers and use through bolts. That isn't entirely bad, just not as neat.
BTW, you asked about swapping back and forth...once you have the new pintles, it will work fine.
You saw my old style rudders mounted on the new style pintles.
Good luck Dave.
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We successfully swapped rudders yesterday. The new rudders on the old boat look super and my racing rudders are firmly fit onto the new boat.

I was worried after reading the forums that it would be a nightmare swap but between my husband and our Hobie Dealer-Rob Jerry from Boat Works in Syracuse it worked out great.

We changed out just the top pintels. They came our of my 1999 boat with no problem. I was very concerned about breaking a screw, especially when I read the backing plate was made of aluminum, that with a stainless screw is not a good combo.

Getting the top pintels off the new boat wasn't as easy. Rob called the Company, they said the screws are put in with Loctite (for obvious reasons) and need to be heated to melt that. We used a pointed tip solddering gun to heat each screw, be patient it takes a while. Not the best time to put out "a bigger hammer" boys :wink:

After a while all four came out with the right size Phillips head screwdriver.