Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been watching the wind forecast. They had over 20 knots forecast yesterday (I think) but it's forecast less than 15 knots now. Low(ish) to mid 20's temperatures.

Really too early to tell for sure though. Sea Breeze and the BOM have slightly different outlooks.

Dress for the worst case. Water temps shouldn't be too bad but longish periods exposed to wind will chill you right down. Go for layers and something windproof. At least carry something onboard that you can put on if required.

I've found in most cases a wind proof jacket makes all the difference. Then again Sydney's not known for the ice and snow some others experience in their cooler months. I usually wear booties to stop my feet getting bashed on all things sharp. Sharkskins are my last resort. Too cold for them I'm off to the pub! :lol:

Not sure how lumpy it will be going around Middle Head. Swell looks to be more from the south. No doubt get something in through the heads. Nothing an AI/TI can't handle though :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Cows. Basically, bring a bag full of gear and make a decision on what to wear at the last minute. Sydney's a bit like that. Who know, we may all finish up wearing our mankinis.

I have proved to myself time and again that http://www.willyweather.com.au/nsw/sydney/manly.html
has more accurate predictions than SeaBreeze. It may not be as pretty and colourful a website but as well as being more accurate, it drills down to individual suburbs. Someone on the forum put me onto it but can't remember who. Give it a go.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hope there's ample parking at Balmoral Beach for a car and trailer. thats the only way we can bring our 2 A.I's. Anyone know ?.
Deb.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There's plenty of (paid) parking if you arrive early. But for single vehicles only. I don't think there's any trailer parking available.

I guess you can take up a car spot for your trailer and another for your car.

http://maps.google.com.au/?ie=UTF8&t=h& ... 04077&z=19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Greyer and wetter the more parking....
Can't remember about trailer parking. Wonder if there is something down toward the sailing club.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If all else fails, there are definitely trailer parking spots at Rose Bay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

At the end of the Balmoral car park next to the sailing club is a large grass area with a spot set aside for trailers. Parking your car for the day can cost you about $20 but hey, it's just a fair contribution to the struggling Mosman economy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Email from Chris at The Sailing Scene in my inbox tonight-

Quote:
Hi guys,

This is just a friendly reminder that we are still going ahead with this AI/TI sailing day this Sunday 17th at Balmoral. We will be there RAIN HAIL or SHINE (shine is preferable)

BBQ will be on from 9am

I have spoken with Balmoral Sailing School, and there is room to store trailers down there for free, but parking fees still apply for the cars.

Again i have attached the pdf with all the details, so if you have any questions, please let me know. So far i am hoping for aroudn 20 boats, so it is looking good.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Cheers
Chris Barnes
THE SAILING SCENE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DonaldAIsailor wrote:
At the end of the Balmoral car park next to the sailing club is a large grass area with a spot set aside for trailers. Parking your car for the day can cost you about $20 but hey, it's just a fair contribution to the struggling Mosman economy.

I thought $20 was a bit steep, but last time I was there the Mayor comes down to the carpark with a bucket of suds and gave my car the once over while I was out on the water.

God love her.

(I know you wouldn't have believed me CGM without pics)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good to see they use buckets, what with water restrictions and all...
Just hope the suds don't flow into the harbour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sunday 17 April
Summary Min 17 Max 21
Possible shower :x .Metropolitan area Cloudy.
The chance of a shower or two.
Winds south to southwesterly averaging up to 35 km/h tending southeast to southwesterly up to 25 km/h around dawn.

We are thinking we will head from Balmoral, then shoot accross to inside South Head, where there is a little less swell, chop and large, green, government owned obsticles, also known as ferries.....

We will shoot down to Woolarah Sailing Club, to pick up the eastern suburb people..........

Speaking of which, are there any confirmed people leaving from W.S.C on the day???? If so be ready from 12-1230 to jump in and meet our floatilla....

Looking forward to seeing you all there guys.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never had to deal with ferries. I'm sure that they are very courteous, obey by all the waterway rules and give this visitor from the country a kind smile and a bit of latitude. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I've never had to deal with ferries. I'm sure that they are very courteous, obey by all the waterway rules and give this visitor from the country a kind smile and a bit of latitude. :roll:

Just get up nice and close and wave. The skipper will give a mightly toot and a friendy wave as turns on a few more knots and wizzes past.

I'll just be standing off with my video camera.... :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:

Mate, you haven't lived till you've sailed past Circular Quay from the west. You can either stay on the starboard side of the channel (where you're supposed to) and dodge all the ferries coming and going or you can sail up the opposite side and play chicken with all the oncoming boats. You get heaps of those friendly toots either way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Sydney ferries have only one rule. That is; give way to Sydney ferries. That's what the Red Diamond hanging off the mast means.
But country folk need not worry. ChrisJ's plan to scoot out from Balmoral across to the east side on starboard tack is a good one. From there you can just work your way down to Rose Bay hugging the shore and keeping out of trouble. The ride back should be quick with a tail wind, but wear your spray jacket.