Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Reverse
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't pulled the trigger on a PA yet, but hopefully soon.

I had another idea though, but wonder how it could be set up. Everyone knows the Mirage kayaks have no reverse, but what about installing a retractable bulkhead, like a jet ski or something. Up against the hull, it would be fairly out of the way to resistance, and maybe pull a string or something (such as the way the rudder is set up) and bulkhead down/up...

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Mirage Reverse
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Reverse? Hardly use it, but pretty easy. Lift the paddle and a few short strokes... or pop the drive out and reverse it. Takes about as long as changing gears in a car.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:lol: I like that....would that be a manual transmission or automatic :D My primary question was directed towards the PA specifically, as I have heard that it can be a PIA to paddle....can't wait to get one though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Reverse? Hardly use it, but pretty easy. Lift the paddle and a few short strokes... or pop the drive out and reverse it. Takes about as long as changing gears in a car.

When you say pop the drive out and reverse it, do you mean like rotate the drive 180 degrees, so it will pedal backwards? Didn't know it was interchangeable if that's what it can do :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm thinking of installing one of my kids in the back of my PA with a paddle. It would be mostly hands-free, voice activated operation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TDK wrote:
I'm thinking of installing one of my kids in the back of my PA with a paddle. It would be mostly hands-free, voice activated operation.

Nice idea, but the maintenance and overhead is a killer... After age 16 the voice activated may not work as well????

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wouldn't count on the voice activated either. At the age it might have been useful, mine were responding with "why" or "huh"? I'd go with the installed reverse. I've needed it all of maybe once so far. That was more to just check to see if it worked. Then I put it back where it was and continued on fishing. I consider it my second means of propulsion if absolutely needed. I'd not win a race but I'd get somewhere that I thought I needed to be. The sail helps me too. It might not be the best sailing unit out there, but it is propulsion. Regular ole multi propulsion senior fisherdude. I like it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My reverse gear is a collapsible boat paddle. At less than 2 feet collapsed, it's out of the way, very handy, easily accessible and if needed I can extend it for very shallow water paddling.

My SO has inadvertently tried the mirage drive reverse. It does work. I'll stick with my little orane paddle though.

2005 Hobie Outback (2)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at the PA just for clarification you can rotate the drive 180? to get the reverse.
I need to know we have red drum that hide in the shoals here and all the paddlers have to anchor and cast then once they get a hit, haul both the anchor and themselves out away from the tidal break while fighting the 80lb drum. If I can put the drive in "reverse" then i could have both hands free to get one of those beauties in.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For clarification--YES...if you put the mirage drive in backwards it will go in reverse when pedaled.

2005 Hobie Outback (2)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think that is why they also give you a paddle, Reverse is just at your finger tips LOL It is not hard to paddle backwards and I think it is WAY EASIER than switching the Mirage drive around or making any other kind of mod to make the peddles reverse the water flow.Also turning I sometimes dont use my rudder it is just too easy to use the paddle to make sudden corrections. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, this thread is getting some activity :) Anyway, I agree with both sides....flipping the Mirage would be nice, but, an inconvenience I think; just to go a short distance in reverse. Now if your intention was to pedal in reverse all the time :) but I doubt it. The only way I could see it being an attribute is if the drive were easier to get in and out of the drive well, but even then, probably a PIA when you can just unlatch a paddle :) Hey, the PA is considered a boat....how about some bow thrusters and ballast tanks :D