Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking of getting an outback fisherman kayak. Everything I've read seems to indicate that would be the one for me. My only concern is do you stay dry fishing form the outback. I've heard things like " my butt gets wet." As I live in Michigan, it gets kind of cold in the early spring and the fall. I've also been looking at the CLC Millcreek stitch and glue build it your self kayak. But if I did that I couldnt use the "Mirage drive" and I probly would'nt get it finished till next year. Any input would be welcome,
thank you
Greybeard106

Last edited by Greybeard106 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Greybeard :lol:

The outback fisherman would keep you quite dry depending on the conditions and your weight. It’s a great platform for fishing. Check out Apalach past posts and see the conversions on his.

Hop this helps. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a "dodger" (Yet to be seen) out that would protect you from splash on heavy chop days. and/or cold breeze.

Post subject: Dodger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:42 am 
Site Admin

The Dodger makes the Mirage Outback, Sport or Adventure into a sit-inside...sit-on-top! Perfect for the cool days and spray.

These are in stock. Yellow and Silver are $98.95 Camo is $120.95

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Greybeard106 wrote:
My only concern is do you stay dry fishing form the outback. I've heard things like " my butt gets wet."
I've used my outback in group paddles before, with normal kayaks. In some of those trips, the regular kayakers were forced to put on spray skirts to keep dry. I stayed dry in the Outback. Even in 1-2 foot chop with 25 mile an hour winds, I only get sprayed with splash, not soaked. You are not going to get much wetbutt with the Outback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree completely with Offroad and Rnykster--the Outback is a pretty dry ride. I only suffered from the "Wet Butt Syndrome" when I forgot to install the scupper drain plug beneath the seat one time!

Another good idea that I have come around to in the past year or so is to always wear a dry suit. I use the Stearns dry pants--completely waterproof, windproof, and breathable, yet very light weight. Available from Wal-Mart for $19.88. I now also carry a Stearns dry jacket rolled up in a Zip-Loc and stashed in my Hobie seat pocket--also waterproof, wind-proof, breathable, and light weight for $29.89 at Wally World. It is lined only with mesh, but keeps the Spring early morning chill off you in North Florida waters, yet is comfortable enough to wear all day, except probably in the heat of the summer. These Stearns products are really great, but it may be difficult to find them in the right sizes (and colors for the jackets)--I had to hit all three local stores before I found what I was looking for. They also have a separate series of jackets in women's sizes, but the pants are baggy and unisex (see pic below of women's jackets that I got for my wife to choose between).

Other Mirage drive yaks, such as the Adventure, have less freeboard and ride lower in the water, so they tend to be a little wetter in wind and chop. Same for the Sport, but no matter--the wet suit takes care of any such problems, as well as rain (other than gale conditions) anyway.